Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva Trio not starting after running

G'day all
    As in title I have a 1999 WF Festiva Trio 1300 Starts no worries when I leave home runs fine , get to where i'm going 15 minutes later turn it off do what I have to do hit the key turns over doesn't start , try to start a couple of times still no start , let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes starts again... Some days it doesn't have any troubles at all .
    This showed up after Heavy rain we had recently , I sprayed the dizzy and an all other connection with WD40 and it started , next time it stopped and I sprayed again it didn't start had to wait for 10 minutes and it started ...
    For the last 2 months been running Beautiful did 600 KLM trip in it all good , then 2 weeks later started doing this all again but a bit more frequently .. I feel as though something's heating up then cooling to let it start again ..
    I pulled the dizzy apart to have a look I didn't dissect it fully . I'll add a couple of pics of the dizzy maybe someone can guide me as to what is the CPS , and the ignition sensor . And what to look for and check ..
    Cheers
    Fred

Those are typical symptoms of a a failing ignition control module, aka transitorized points, which is located on most models inside the distributor. They are heat sensitive. When they get old and heat up they fail but when the engine cools down they work again, until eventually they die. Auto parts stores used to be able to test them for free. When replacing a module it should be bedded in dielectric (doesn't conduct electricity) heat transfer paste, the same stuff they used to put under the CPU in computers. You'll probably see a white past under yours. When mine was replaced at a garage they didn't know about the paste and the module didn't last long. I got a small capusle of the paste from an electronics store when I replaced that one and it has been good. Hope that helps. Any questions just ask.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

WP_20210820_14_48_26_Pro (Copy).jpg WP_20210820_14_48_19_Pro (Copy).jpg Thank's for the response WmWatt .. I wasn't sure this post went through as I was receiving an error500 when trying to post it .. I note the pics didn't go through so might try that again so I can confirm whats what's ..

Comment

WP_20210820_14_48_26_Pro (Copy).jpg WP_20210820_14_48_19_Pro (Copy).jpg Thank's for the response WmWatt .. I wasn't sure this post went through as I was receiving an error500 when trying to post it .. I note the pics didn't go through so might try that again so I can confirm whats what's ..

Comment

You can usually ignore the error 500. If you leave the thread and come back in you'll find your reply has been posted. For insurance you can highlight and copy the text of the rpeply before leaving the thread so you don't have to re-type if it wasn't posted the first time.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
          X