shuttering speedo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shuttering speedo

when i accelerate the tachometer on my dash panel shutters back and forth jumping between speeds only about 5mph jumps. doesnt happen all the time, do i need to replace the speedocable or something behind the dash. nothing is effected mechanically its just the needle jumping up and down and making a little ticking noise when doing it

Tachometer or speedometer? The tachometer shows engine speed in rpm's and comes over a wire from the ignition coil. The speedometer shows driveshaft speed in km/h & mph and comes over a cable from the transmission. You can unscrew the speedometer from the transmission, pull out the cable, clean and lubricate, and reinstall. That could help. When the cable is out check for kinks. You can try to straighten kinks by hand or replace the cable with a new/used one. You have to be carefull when unscrweing and replacing the end of the cable at the transmission. A search of this site (top right of the screen) on, say, "speedometer cable" or "speedp cable" will bring up details on overhauling the cable. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by WmWatt; 08-23-2021, 05:59 PM.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

WmWatt thank you, you’re awesome

Comment

Working...
      X