Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing fuel injectors on 1989 L 1.3 liter automatic transmission.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing fuel injectors on 1989 L 1.3 liter automatic transmission.

Getting ready to put new injectors in. I would like to know the first thing to take apart down to putting them in. Any help, suggestions or video links would be grea. Thanks in advance.

While waiting for replies you might want to try the search box in the top right hand corner of the screen. This site has accumulated a wealth of information over the years.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Thank you, I had not seen the search bar.

Comment

Festiva Fuel Injectors Replacement.jpg

I have changed injectors a few times on Festivas.
        It can be done without removing the plenum but it is much more difficult and I would not advise trying to do it if this is your first time doing this job.
        Also clean sockets they fit and the fuel rail well while you have it out.
        Be careful with the fuel rail when and fuel lines when removing and tightening the bolts.. do not bend the fuel lines.
        Removing the rubber hoses on the fuel line can be difficult also. Sometimes it it best to cut them off and get new ones to prevent twisting or crimping the metal lines.

Be sure your seal and o rings are the correct size (I ordered some one time and they were not the correct size and they leaked). Do not use old ones.

Please be sure to have a fire extinguisher handy before you begin this job. It's hard to keep all the gas and fumes at bay while you are doing this job.
        Also, be sure to Depressurize and pressurize the fuel system with the car outside.

Attached Files

Comment

I have the carburetted model so cannot advise but would suggest in addition to what 1990new wrote is to lubricate the ends of the rubber hoses with penetrating oil such as WD-40 before trying to remove .I've also found gently gripping the the ends of hoses with pliers to twist them off helps break them free without damage. Good luck.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Hi, just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for your response to my search for help and information about changing the injectors. All responses were very helpful and I am feeling confident to start on it this week. I am just waiting on one more part and I can dive in. I will give an update when I finish. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Attention "1990 New". Thank you for your post first of all. I would like to get the repair manual that you took the screen shot from. Do you know which one that you have and where I might be able to order one just like it. I intend to keep this car so I will need one to reference. Thank you again.
              Last edited by Kilonzo; 05-02-2022, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilonzo View Post
                Attention "1990 New". Thank you for your post first of all. I would like to get the repair manual that you took the screen shot from. Do you know which one that you have and where I might be able to order one just like it. I intend to keep this car so I will need one to reference. Thank you again.
                Here is a link showing the exact one that I took the photo of. https://www.ebay.com/itm/31256745677...0AAOSw3K1avje0
                Most from 1990 thru 1993 are similar but the later years have more of the typos fixed and some provide a little more info so anyone form 1990 thru 1993 will work for you.
                The 89 with EFI is a bit unique so if you can find a 1989 manual (harder to find) you might want to get it.

I also have one of these. They are an absolute necessity when trying to find electrical problems and also vacuum issues. https://www.ebay.com/itm/38479542221...0AAOSwjv5iMj8p

Comment

Working...
                X