Still no headlights 1990 Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still no headlights 1990 Festiva

So I still haven't found the problem. Everything works but the headlights. I checked and cleaned the fusible link and checked the bulb. I sprayed wd-40 into the headlight switch and the ignition switch as recommended and still no go. The spray did apparently loosen something up as I now have an annoying buzzer when the key is left in which I haven't had since I owned the car. I have the original Ford 1990 Festiva car shop manual. The schematics show a couple of relays on the headlight wiring but there is no description of the fusible link unless they are calling that a relay. Before I take off the steering column switch mechanism are there any other relays or whatever on that circuit. I think I unplugged every thing under the dash while looking for another bad relay or something. It was obvious that each thing I unplugged was not what I was looking for. If anyone knows of or the location of another thing to check before I dive into the switch I would greatly appreciate some direction. Can the column switch be rebuilt? If not I figure it will probably be rather difficult to locate one. Anyway, my car has served me well and for now will be a daylight vehicle and I will not attend any funeral processions where headlights are required.

Can you test the circuit at different points with a test light or voltmeter? The fact that both lights are affected suggests some component common to both so not, say, a corroded bulb socket or ground wire. I'm pretty sure there are old posts about the switch, maybe called a combination, or combo for short, switch. The search box is in the top right of the screen.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Yes this is a relay for your headlights. I believe its the same as your running lights/tail lights. I remember years ago switching the relays to get home in the dark. Still not a good idea because you won't have tail lights but you could swap them for testing.

Comment

That should read ( yes there is) and I just seen your new here welcome to the forum. This used to be very active but not much going on here anymore .

Comment

Working...
        X