Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [1989 Carbureted] High idle comes and goes, NOT choke

I'm completely new to carburetors and the like:

My 1989 carbureted Festiva L (stock carb) has been randomly having a very high idle for the past 2 weeks. It'll either start happening while I'm driving or right when I start the car, and it occurs about half the times I drive it. If I drive it for another ~5-6 miles it will generally go away, or if I let the car sit for around 2 hours and then start it again. If I turn it off while it's high idling it'll diesel for about 12 seconds (unless I hold the brake and stall the engine out forcefully which is what I usually do when this is happening).

Originally I thought the auto-choke was sticking, but when I looked at it while it was high idling I saw that the choke plate was completely open like it should be. Then I thought it may be a sticking throttle plate, but those looked fine too while it was high idling (unless one of them was very slightly stuck open to a point I couldn't tell). I don't think lowering the idle RPM is an option just because of the fact that 70% of the time it's idling at a normal RPM. Oil seems fine too.

Now I think it's either a vacuum leaking sometimes or something else entirely. I haven't been able to find a vacuum leak through the carb cleaner spraying method, but it's hard to troubleshoot as I'm unable to get it to start high idling on command, and it may only be leaking during those times of high idle.

Has anyone else had a problem of a "high idle that comes and goes"? What was your solutions/what should I check for?
    Last edited by FestiveFestival; 07-02-2022, 06:15 PM.

Hi. Sorry I don't know what is causing the problem but every summer I do a minor tuneup which includes spraying the carb and linkages with carb cleaner. I'd try that. It's inexpensive and if it doen't help it can't hurt. The minor tuneup includes inspecting, cleaning, and gaping the spark plugs and wiping down the igntion wires, distributor cap, and coil.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

There are about thirty reasons the idle will fluctuate up and down. I had the same issue. I spent weeks probing the problem with the help of the 1989 shop manual.
      I never solved the problem.
      I finally decided to get rid of the feedback carb.
      Search for "Weber".

Comment

Working...
      X