Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 carbed 1.3 extremely high HC PPM

Hello everyone,

I bought an 89 and I'm in california I have to get the car smogged I took it to see how it it would go. at idle the HC PPM is 1300 allowable is 140-250 at 2000 rpm its 400 ppm. Vaccum hovers at 19 at idle. Fresh tune up etc. I am wondering if anyone knows how to adjust the A/F ratio on these carbs. As soon as its smogged its getting a better carb and some work done so I don't want to spend a bunch of money on it if I don't have too.

Sorry, don't have answer to your specific question. Assume you've checked for loose or cracked hoses. Also gate in air intake moves freely. Carb cleaner (spray can) might help. Also check compression. BTW if you ever have high nitrogen cleaning EGR valve is easy.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I've been working so much I haven't had any time till today. I've cleaned the egr, added a muffler from my harley, it has a catalytic converter in it, to try to get this thing to pass. I just found out how to check codes and it is flashing 7 no differentiation in speed or length of flashes. there is no code for 7 flashes that I could find. Could be 16 but I doubt it. I did check the egr sensor (16 flashes) and with an ohm meter I get 5kohms closed 2.5kohm open so it looks like its working.

Took it for a drive maybe 30 miles and it seems to drive ok. The first time i drove it it was a little jerky but i think the rear brakes (new) werent adjusted right or burnt in yet and were dragging as they warmed up.

It does have a long ish crank I'm gonna check the compression and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by RoughMachine View Post
        Hello everyone,

I bought an 89 and I'm in california I have to get the car smogged I took it to see how it it would go. at idle the HC PPM is 1300 allowable is 140-250 at 2000 rpm its 400 ppm. Vaccum hovers at 19 at idle. Fresh tune up etc. I am wondering if anyone knows how to adjust the A/F ratio on these carbs. As soon as its smogged its getting a better carb and some work done so I don't want to spend a bunch of money on it if I don't have too.
        I former lived in the crappy state china communist control corruption for CA state. I have many Ford Festiva did not easy pass the smog test in CA. Did you check your front input catalytic converter? its clean and tiny like honey comb? or big holes or crumbles inside? that will guaranteed you fail the smog test. Is your Festiva high mileage? Oil leaking from stem valves long term it can destroy your cat converter.

Also, make sure there no air leak in vacuum hose circuits with B3 carb. If your car Ford Festiva was imported from other state than CA then you might need to swap EGR valve with sensor plug in connector and the special CA ECU for B3 carb.
        Last edited by Festiva GTX; 08-23-2022, 09:55 PM.

Comment

I still have the original catalytic converter on my '89 and the car passed like a champ right up until they stopped testing here in Ontario a few years ago. We don't even have to pay to renew the plates (tags) here any more. I don't know why the hydrocarbons in the exhaust are high at idle. They say to drive the car for 20 min before the test to warm up the engine. I remember testing an O2 sensor for a girlfriend's Honda. It involved taking it out and heating it with a torch. I looked it up on the Internet. You probably already know that before the O2 sensor heats up the car runs without it and that could be the reason for the hydrocarbons, or maybe the sensor is shot. I still have the original sensor on my vehicle too so it could be okay.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

^^^ All you have to do to test the O2 sensor is unplug it and see if it makes any difference. The car will run without it. The reason we tested the sensor for the Honda off the car was it was a used replacment and we wanted to see if it was working before swapping. Appologies that was not explained.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
              ^^^ All you have to do to test the O2 sensor is unplug it and see if it makes any difference. The car will run without it. The reason we tested the sensor for the Honda off the car was it was a used replacment and we wanted to see if it was working before swapping. Appologies that was not explained.
              Good Idea, The O2 sensor rarely go bad but it can happens. There way to test O2 Sensor with bottle torch propane it should generate some tiny voltage while torch flame is hitting the sensor bulb. If still zero reading while glowing hot sensor bulb then its DEAD.

Comment

Working...
              X