Prepping for roadworthy inspection, need help with some odds and ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepping for roadworthy inspection, need help with some odds and ends

After spending the better part of a year not fixing my car due to lack of tools, funds and laziness it now moves under it's own power for the first time under my possession after replacing the clutch.

After putting everything back together we were left with a bracket and its accompanying bolt as well as a larger bolt with a washer, I am unsure as to where both of these pieces should be located in the engine bay since we started taking the car apart quite a while ago and the pieces weren't properly labelled in the process.

Misc. Parts.jpg

When my Father ​​and I were reassembling the front suspension we couldn't seem to get the rubber boots for the control arm ball joints to seat properly on the lip, as soon as we let go of the boot the wire spring would push it off and unseat it, one of the wire springs was also lost and/or misplaced during the disassembly of the car, we tried to fix this with some brass wire tightened against the boot although it's effectiveness has yet to be seen since the boot was reluctant to stay put in the first place, we couldn't be bothered fiddling with them for too long and just continued on with the suspension however we did pack the boots with new grease, they're pretty grotty but the plan was to replace the control arms some time in the future anyway.

balljoint right.jpg balljoint left.jpg

If and when another problem arises with my car I'll post it here, at least if I can't find the solution on the forum already
    and if you know where those miscellaneous parts go or how to remedy my issue with the rubber boots please let me know!
    Last edited by SandwichMan8u; 07-13-2022, 03:52 PM.

Incorrect response deleted
    Last edited by WmWatt; 07-13-2022, 06:13 PM.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I have had the dust boots slip off like that even on new control arms. I have caused them to come off while installing lca's using a jack under the joint which caused the pinch point to expand too much and push the shaft too far in and squeeze the boot off. I have also done it by forcing too much grease into ones that had grease fittings.
      They are very difficult to get back on and stay on once the wire bands expanded and popped out. If you are planning to get new LCA's soon I would not worry about it. Just be careful putting the new ones on.

The part you show appears to be some kind of hose support. It doesn't look familiar to me. Did your car have dealer or after market installed AC by any chance. Is it automatic?

The bolt with the washer looks identical to a seat bolt but may be larger. Are you sure it came from under the hood area?

Last edited by 1990new; 07-14-2022, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind when we get around to replacing the control arms and I will examine the seats to make sure they're securely fastened.
        As for the bracket, the car is a 1987 121 with a five speed and no air conditioning, I will also take a more thorough look around the gearbox and behind the engine where all the hoses are and see if I can't find its home.

Comment

the bracket is a holder/guide for the clutch cable. it mounts below the starter on the trans. just holds the cable away from the trans. it's only found on RHD vehicles

Comment

Working...
          X