Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barometric Pressure Sensor?

88LX 5 spd

Checking the ignition timing and the book says to disconnect the barometric pressure sensor. Doesn't tell me where it is. From the pics I've found at online parts places,

it looks like it is on the fire wall in the very top corner on the passenger side. Is that right? Do I just disconnect the hoses or the wire connection? Thanks.

The BP (Barometric Pressure ) sensor in normally integrated with the ECA except on the early festivas, capris, and tracers. I think the 1.3 carb engine uses a MAP ( Manifold Absolute Pressure ) sensor. I think that's what you have pictured. I'm not an expert on the early carb models though.

sigpic
    The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
    https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
    Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Therris, what you have pictured is the Barometric Pressure Sensor, which if you open the hood, and look, is to the far passenger side, on the firewall. There is a hose and an electrical connection. Not too bad. The MAP sensor is an entirely different animal. It is located where Fresh's pic shows, kinda of just to the driver's side of the carb, on the firewall. Hope this helps.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

I'll try to remember to check the Haynes manual when I get home. All I can remember is shorting the white connector near the driver's side fender, disconnecting and plugging the vacuum advance hose on the top of the distributor with a golf tee, and disconnecting a single black connector in front of the distributor.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

My Haynes didn't say anything about the single black connector, just the hoses out of the vacuum advance mechanism and disconnect the BPS.

Comment

"The MAP sensor is an entirely different animal"

I think batstiva may be correct, disregard what I said. I guess I don't have the correct manual to shows the BP sensor.
            sigpic
            The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
            https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
            Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Not sure...but typically...a car either has a MAP or Baro....not both???
              Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
              The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

^^ Festivas have both. At least mine does, cause they have both been replaced. :wink:

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

carbed cars have both external, EFi cars have only the baro internal to the ecu
                  Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                  Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

The barometric switch connection mentioned on page 5-6 step 4 "On carbureted models, disconnect the barometric switch from the distributor." in my Haynes manual timing instructions is a blue wire comming out of the bottom front of the distributor on my carb'd '89 and going into a black plastic single wire connector in front of the distributor. Once when I had the car to the dealership when I first bought it in '89 and long before I learned how to do any of the work on the car myself I noticed the wire had been disconnected. It may only make a difference for cars driven at higher altitudes. Someone here at www.fordfestiva.com likely knows what it's for.
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                    X