Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with snapped off door handle. (outside)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with snapped off door handle. (outside)

My 1988 festiva drivers sided door handle snapped off when trying to open it this past winter. I was just going to swap the passenger side over to the drivers side. How do you take the threaded rod part off of the handle on the inside of the door? Looks like it is pressed on and then a clip is holding it all together. Do I just try and pry off the clip and pop the rod part off? Or is there a easy repair for the handle without taking the passenger side one off? Thanks, Jim

If you switch handles from one side to the other you will have to remove the nylon clip and transfer it to the opposite hole.

Use a small flat head screwdriver to press in and release the little nylon clips on each side of the part that slides into the hole and it will come out. Be careful to not press too hard or pry against the black ring part and break it. If you have two small flat head screw drivers you can press in both at once and use a small phillips head in the center and push it out or release one side at a time and press the flange in and push down on one side enough to get it past the point where it can expand and then do the same on the other side and it will come out.

Easier Way...
    Search "free" in the forum you will find that I have door handles for free .. you just pay the shipping.
    PM me your shipping address and I will let you know the shipping cost to you. I can send you the handle with the nylon piece on the right (one in picture at rear) which is already set up for the drivers side.

Door Handle 1.jpg Door Handle 2.jpg Door Handle 3.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 1990new; 09-18-2022, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Dang, great reply. Thanks. I will pay you for the part and shipping of course. My address is Jim Campbell 3755 Chapel Rd Spring Arbor, Michigan 49283 Thanks new

Comment

Originally posted by jimdigs View Post
        Dang, great reply. Thanks. I will pay you for the part and shipping of course. My address is Jim Campbell 3755 Chapel Rd Spring Arbor, Michigan 49283 Thanks new
        Sent you a PM with my info and questions about other things you might need.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post

Sent you a PM with my info and questions about other things you might need.
          I tried to find the other half of the rod attachment piece that goes around the rod and snaps to the piece on the handle
          but I could not find one. I hope you still have yours. I think I gave them away with the inside handle and rod pieces earlier.

Comment

You could just get a long rod that goes from the door lock to the front finger pull, and then cut and bend it in a vice.
            You would just have to make a mirror opposite. A hammer will make great ninety degree bends.

Comment

It looks like you have access to a replacement part. If not, broken stuff can sometimes be effectively glued back together with a mixture of epoxy resin and powdered metal. JB Weld is one such product. Building up a big glob of that stuff often works.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Nylon door lock-handle clips .jpg

I was able to find several types of connectors which I am including with the handle but I'm not sure which (if any) will work for this particular connection but maybe at least one can be made to work.
                Last edited by 1990new; 09-19-2022, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Thanks Jesse. Got the handle today. Just gotta figure the best way to attach to the threaded rod. Thanks again. Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jimdigs View Post
                    Thanks Jesse. Got the handle today. Just gotta figure the best way to attach to the threaded rod. Thanks again. Jim
                    You are welcome Jim
                    That was fast .. estimated delivery was the 23'rd.
                    Remember when you are attaching the rod that the force will be downward on it. That nylon clip that locks on both side might work.

Comment

Working...
                    X