Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting Timing

88lx 5 spd

I did what Haynes said for the ignition timing, lined it up TDC. Then I reconnected the Barometric Pressure Sensor, stayed the same. Hooked hoses back up to the vacuum advance mechanism and the engine sped up. Checked the timing again and it was maybe 15 degrees advanced. Is that right? Or is there a problem.

And for clarification, when someone talks about setting the timing are they talking about the ignition timing or something else? Thanks.

that's correct. The reason you disconnect (and plug) the hoses from the distributor is to remove the vacuum signal to the advance diaphram. About 5inHg is applied to the distributor at idle to speed engine warm-up and reduce idle emissions. In order for base timing to be set properly, that vacuum signal needs to be removed, in order for the distributor to remain 'at rest'.
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Best to post to original topic for original question.
      Are you really tuning the engine at 3:47 am as per time stamp on posting?
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Hmm, shows me posting at 4:12 pm when it's actually 11:29 am. Eastern time.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

GMT?
          it runs so sweet
          91 L 5spd

Comment

UST

they (who's they anyway?) changed GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) to UST (Universal Standard Time) in July 2007.

still the same time, just a new name.
            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
            Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Originally posted by FB71
              UST

they (who's they anyway?) changed GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) to UST (Universal Standard Time) in July 2007.

still the same time, just a new name.
              Probalby the French....they thought it would extend the life of a Renault.
              Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
              The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Ah, since the Renault Le Car is the only other vechicle I know using the 12" tires I wouldn't mind seeing more of them on the road to entice retailers to keep those tires in stock.

Comment

Working...
                  X