Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiper motor (arms pivot freely with key OFF)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiper motor (arms pivot freely with key OFF)

This past winter when I was shoveling snow off my 88L and running the engine before the wipers were freed up, I apparently hit the wiper switch, stalling the motor. Normally when that happens, I immediately turn the key off, remove the ice, and all is OK.

Now, as I'm prepping the car for the short summer, I find that NOTHING happens (incl no sounds) when I turn the wipers on, and they're just "free-wheeling."

Perhaps the fuse? Or did I fry the motor? Or ... ?

I've NEVER had a Festy wiper system fail in any way. Never. I probably have some spare motors down in the heated carpeted un-lighted crawl space from disassembling some Festies nearly 20 years ago.
    Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 06-01-2023, 12:27 AM.
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

If the wiper arms seem disconnected from the motor the shaft could have been stripped. I'd remove the arms and check. It's been a while but I'm pretty sure they are held on by a nut. Electricals are not as simple but it would more likely be a fuse than a switch. I'm thinking the fuse would protect the motor from burn out but could be wrong about that. I've had the motor off and don't recall it being difficult. Of coursed we were all younger back then LOL Good luck.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

You put the words in my mouth -- it seems like the arms are disconnected from the motor (but connected to each other).

I'll check the fuse (per Haynes I have here), remove the arms (held on by nuts as I recall) and remove the whole assembly (also held on nuts at each arm as I recall) to study.

Fortunately, we have 19-1/2 hours of daylight here!
      Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 06-02-2023, 09:51 PM.
      88L black, dailydriver
      4 88/89 disassembled
      91L green
      91GL aqua pwrsteer
      92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFestivaGuy View Post
        You put the words in my mouth -- it seems like the arms are disconnected from the motor (but connected to each other).

I'll check the fuse (per Haynes I have here), remove the arms (held on by nuts as I recall) and remove the whole assembly (also held on nuts at each arm as I recall) to study.

Fortunately, we have 19-1/2 hours of daylight here!
        If it's the motor shaft splines that are stripped, I don't have an extra motor (already gave that away) but I do still have a wiper assembly that bolts to the motor.
        Yours for the cost of shipping if you need it.

Comment

I took a look under the hood today out of curiosity and it looks like the wiper motor has to be removed to get at the push rod in behind. Since both wiper arms are moving together that would seem to be the location of the problem.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

The heat wave (one day of 69F) ended. I hope to dive into this in the coming days. They're still getting snowed on up north.
            88L black, dailydriver
            4 88/89 disassembled
            91L green
            91GL aqua pwrsteer
            92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Before you take the output arm off the motor shaft be sure to mark the current position so you can put it back on correctly. If you don't its hard to get it lined back up correctly ... I know this from experience. If the motor shaft is stripped though you will have already lost the original alignment.

Comment

Working...
              X