Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• temp gauge issue

Hello,

I have a 91 festiva and the needle will not go above the "c" on the gauge. I replaced the thermostat with the proper one as well as the temp sender and sensor, defrost will blow warm air but the needle wont budge. The wiring looks fine, where do I look next?

Thanks

I shorted the wire and the gauge works fine. Is the wire connector prone to making bad connections?

Comment

I shorted the wire and the gauge works fine. Is the wire connector prone to making bad connections?

Comment

The temperature gauge in Nellie, the 1990 yellow LPlus that I sold earlier this year, had the tach cluster and the temperature gauge failed completely after working off and on for at least a year. I changed the sending sensor in the head but it made no difference. I ended up putting a digital temperature display in with a sensor in the upper radiator hose. I assumed the problem to be in the cluster but it could possibly have been a wire.. I never did find out.

I know the temperature sensing area of the water is after the thermostat and could be an issue if the thermostat ever failed but it would still raise the temp displayed enough to show a problem before the radiator cap blew.
        Last edited by 1990new; 07-10-2023, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Maybe I can grab the cluster at the junkyard and see what happens.

Comment

So I threw the alternator/water pump belt on the way home from work today and the gauge went up to 1/4. Limped it home stopping and coasting as much as I could, no scrambled eggs in the rad, so hopefully everything is good. So it either has been running cold and it took not having a water pump to warm up, or the gauge is bad. I will have to take your advice and check the temp externally. What is the temp range on the gauge?

Comment

So I threw the alternator/water pump belt on the way home from work today and the gauge went up to 1/4. Limped it home stopping and coasting as much as I could, no scrambled eggs in the rad, so hopefully everything is good. So it either has been running cold and it took not having a water pump to warm up, or the gauge is bad. I will have to take your advice and check the temp externally. What is the temp range on the gauge?

Comment

Originally posted by Nerddage View Post
                Here is an amazon link to the type of temperature sensor that I put on Nellie... You have to have to get an adapter that goes between a cut out piece of you upper radiator hose to install.. I made a little hole in the rubber boot where the speedometer cable goes through the fire wall for the wires to go to the dash and routed the wires through one of the knock out opening to the left of the steering wheel. I mounted the gauge to a piece of closed cell packing foam that I wedged into the opening.

Comment

Thanks, do you remember what normal operating temp was?

Comment

Thanks, do you remember what normal operating temp was?
                    The thermostat is supposed to open at 193F to allow full flow from the thermostat housing attached to the upper right side of the head to flow to the top of the radiator.
                    I sold Nelly earlier this year and my Trixie does not have one of these. I don't remember exactly but don't believer I ever saw the temperature exceed 190 degrees F on the display after I installed it in Nellie.

Comment

Thanks again.

Comment

Thanks again.
                        You are welcome... Believe it or not.. I lived in Northglenn and worked in downtown Denver back in the early 1970's.
                        Never did get up to Greeley but passed by on I25 on the way up to Wyoming.
                        Last edited by 1990new; 07-14-2023, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post

You are welcome... Believe it or not.. I lived in Northglenn and worked in downtown Denver back in the early 1970's.
                          Never did get up to Greeley but passed by on I25 on the way up to Wyoming.
                          I imagine it was a tiny cow town back then. I have only lived here 5 years or so and it has exploded just since I have been here.
                          Last edited by Nerddage; 07-14-2023, 11:56 PM. Reason: Mistype

Comment

Working...
                          X