1990 festiva won't shift into first or second gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 festiva won't shift into first or second gear

Hey all, I've recently run into some trouble with my car's ability to shift in the first or second. At first, it would stick a little getting into those gears, but now those two seem completely out of commission. I switched out the bushings on the shifter arm and still had a lot of play in the shifter, which I originally thought was the problem, but now I'm starting to suspect that it would be something inside of the transmission itself, I'm just not sure on exactly what. Does anybody have experience with a similar problem like this, or have any insights towards what might be going on in the transmission? I'm completely lost on engine work, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Did you also replace the bushing on the stabilizer arm where it attaches to the transmission?
    If you did not, that could by why it is still sloppy and not engaging the gears properly.

Comment

I seem to recall the rear bolt itself being worn and replacing it with one from the hardware store with the three bars indicating hard steel. Anther possibility could be the copper synchromesh bushings inside the transmission but I'd check the fluid level in the transmission first. I once had a car which wouldn't shift in to 1st and replacing the synchromish fixed it. A reputable transmission shop should be able to tell for free.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I did replace the bushings where the transmission meets, however I did notice that they fit slightly looser than I expected. Could have been the previous owners work, but I can't be certain.

Comment

Working...
        X