ignition timing adjustment, fms cam, air flow, 1990 L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ignition timing adjustment, fms cam, air flow, 1990 L

I've recently put in an FMS competition cam. I'm having trouble setting the timing. I thought that grounding the connector (do know what it's called, it's the black one on the firewall) that the advance would be disabled. However, that's not the case with my car. Grounding the wire definately causes a change in idle speed (it drops) but when throttling back up the timing advances just like when the wire is not connected. Is this normal. Also, I've had worse performance with the FMS cam. I wasn't even able to go beyond 4500 rpm until I retarded the timing some. Not sure how much but maybe 4 or 5 degrees. Still it doesn't have the pep the stock cam did. I even took out the air filter and that didn't help a whole lot. I've also put a 4" hole in the bottom of the air box. I didn't expect a lot of hp gain with the cam but I also didn't expect less than stock. Any ideas?! I've got a K code VAF out of a Probe but haven't had time to mess with it yet. Maybe that will help. Headers? Any larger throttle bodies that bolt up?

Wonder if you grounded the right connector...the RPM connector is nearby.
    After grounding the connector...and before setting the timing...the idle is adjusted...then the base timing is set.

What it realy sounds like...your timing belt is off by one tooth. The key to determine this...and not to clear from your post...where is the dist now compared to before you changed the cam? It should be very close to the original spot...if not...the belt is out by a tooth...

How to adjust the timing belt:
    1) Remove the timing cover
    2) Put a mark from the top of the timing belt and continue the mark onto the cam sprocket.
    3) Slide the belt off the cam sproket and turn the cam one tooth in the direction that the dist has been turned.
    4) Re-assemble
    5) move dist back to original position.
    6) Set timing
    7) Lay rubber
    8) kick some A**

Oh yeah I stayed a Holiday Inn last night...no...not what i meant...I have no experience with the FMS cam.
    Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
    The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Wonder if you grounded the right connector...the RPM connector is nearby.
      I saw 2 single pin connectors. When I ground the other connector the engine shut off immediately.

What it realy sounds like...your timing belt is off by one tooth. The key to determine this...and not to clear from your post...where is the dist now compared to before you changed the cam? It should be very close to the original spot...if not...the belt is out by a tooth...
      Yes the dist is in quit a different spot. hmm... maybe it is a tooth off. I'll have to check that.

Comment

^^good stuff
        Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
        The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

I adjusted the timing belt by one tooth on the cam as you described. Now the dist sets the same amount away from the original spot only the other direction. It runs about the same as before adjusting the sprocket back a tooth but still not as good as with factory cam. I must be doing something wrong here. I still wonder why the timing advances when the test pin or whatever you call it is grounded. I thought that was the whole idea of grounding it. I'm sure I have the right connector but it's possible I don't I suppose. Maybe the lobes on the cam aren't correct. Does that ever happen? Well, I'm going to mess around with it a little more, but probably in the next week or two I'll be taking it out if I can't figure it out.

Comment

When I spoke to Roger about FMS cams, he told me the competition cam would not idle well and should not be used in a street car.
            Brian
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
            :fish:

Comment

Really?! The website says it's good for street or strip and good idle. But if he's right that would explain alot. Guess I shouldn't have wasted my money on it then. Oh well, live and learn.

Comment

remember, 'good' is a relative term, compared to the race cam. The street/strip cam really should only be used in a modified engine, with bigger/more efficient intake and exhaust.

If you decide to sell the cam, I might be interested.
                Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

The street/strip cam really should only be used in a modified engine, with bigger/more efficient intake and exhaust.
                  I'm beginning to understand that.

If you decide to sell the cam, I might be interested.
                  I'll keep that in mind.

Comment

Working...
                  X