Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva '89 - firing seq and distrib. question

Hi All,

I have a Ford Festiva '89 L (bought new in the US) - 4speed , manual tx, 2 bbl carb. (1.3L) engine without any frills on it. The question I have and it is my first time posting and have not looked at other posts yet for a potential answer, is: What are the firing sequence (or piston numbering on the engine if I were to stand in front of the car (Left to Right - timing belt on the left to distributor on the right side of the engine) and how the spark plugs out of the distributor cap (numbering?) relative to that unused/plugged connector on the top of cap are? Just want to make sure I have the spark plugs and timing all still in order.

Please, post only.

Thanks much,
    Joe.

PS. I will later post a case of how I can't start my car and I hope I will get much needed help.

1-3-4-2

#1 is by the timing belt

#1 is the top of the dist cap and it goes counterclockwise

You probably need to verify where the rotor is pointing on the compression stroke #1 clyinder
    96 Ford F-150 XLT
    93 Festiva L (Modified)
    92 Festiva L
    68 Mustang GT 428cj

Comment

Removing my post cuz I think I am wrong judging by the above post.
      ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
      #2 .....Cheesehead
      #3 '91 White - Donor Car
      #4 .....Montana Project
      SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
      Bought her back for $450
      Now that's darn near priceless!!

Comment

Really never thing about it....next time take the cap off with the wires attached...swap the rotors without interruption put the new cap on.. swap the wires on at a time...position for position...bullet proof
        Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
        The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Thank you all who replied! All is well for the seq. The story of why I needed to check the seq and the rest is interesting but I will get to that later. I have difficulty starting the car, but the engine turns over (cranking is good). I have not touched anything myslef ( I will post about the symptoms later), a friend helped me find out more (he deals a lot more with engines than I do) about why it does not. He tired to diagnose it as to why. The rotor and the cap after 19 years could be changed (that's why I wanted to make sure the seq is still there). There does not seem to be a spark coming out of the coil (the cables seems to be good). I kind of changed to a new ignition coil, but that still does not give a spark. I am told that the control module inside the distrib might be bad and so this might cause for the spark not to come out, so I like to test the ignition/control module (a shop can apparently do that.)

So now, I need to remove the module (which is about $220) and have it tested, before I do anything else. The module can be unscrewed easily, but it is seating being the shaft (?) in the distributor.

How do I go about removing the control module inside the distributor (steps please)? (Do I remove the distributor or what?)

Another question, is there a range for doing continuity testing for the coil itself?
          Q: What steps/tests do I take to make sure I can fix it, before I think it is more serious and I really have to take it in for the "experts" to look at?

Let me know all your thoughts, things you look for that will help me get this car going?

Thanks a lot again,
          Joe.

PS. I will read the replies tomorrow.

Comment

If it needs a disty , just post a [WTB] in the For sale forum .

You will be BIG money ahead by installing a good used one , rather than spending the BIG money on those little parts , and that may not be all of your problems .
            ------------------------------------------------
            The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
            Smart Passion white with H-D interior
            HD2500 Duramax Chevy
            Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
            Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
            Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
            Z28 LS1 power 500 +
            90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
            It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

a rebuilt distributer is a lot cheaper than buying the module.they can be gotten for around $150.00 to $175.00.
              1960 willys pickup
              1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
              1989 festiva
              1990 festiva for parts
              1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

You can take the ICM out of the distributor on the car. I'm looking at a junkyard distrubutor for a carb'd '89 as I type. Unscrew the cap, pop the rotor and plastic shield, and you'll see the screw holding on the ICM. Make a drawing showing where the different coloured wires go before removing it so you'll know where they go when you put it back. When putting it back bed it in some dielectric heat transfer grease, the same stuff they use to bed the CPU in your computer, for sale cheap (I paid $1) at electronics stores except Circuit City (Radio Shack) where it is very expensive. For more info on the ICM go to www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm and click on "Cars". The advice to buy a rebuilt distributor is good because the ICM in a junkyard one might be no good and they don't give refunds on electronics components, which I why I have this spare one. P.S. Save the reciept for any new ICM as it's guaranteed for 5 yr or 50k km whichever comes first. Good luck.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Here is a picture of the ICM at the bottom. There are a couple of members here who have a dist. they might sell you. I was in the market last week. I think Quickslick444 and MTBOX had some. Sorry if I didnt get the user names exact. ops: Im bad with names.

sigpic
                  The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                  https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                  Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Thanks guys! I am back after some time off (have not touched the car since then). In the picture, I need to take off the round donut piece (at the top left of the picture next to the screw). This piece is at the top of the dist. shaft and seems to be blocking the module. How do I take it off?

Thanks,
                    Joe

Comment

sigpic
                      The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                      https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                      Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Me thinks you are jumping the gun.
                        Replace the spark plug wires first.
                        You can't tell by how they look as to whether or not they are any good!
                        20-$25 for a good set which if you don't know how old they are need to be changed anyway!
                        much cheaper than a new distributor or module and much easier to find at a McParts place!
                        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                        '92 Aqua parts Car
                        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                        Your holy ghost will not save you.
                        Your God plutonium will not save you.
                        In fact...
                        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                        X