Lights go out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lights go out...

I have a '93 Festiva. Once in awhile (at night) while I am turning a corner, the headlights go off for a few seconds and then come back on. Since it doesn't always happen and they come right back on again, i don't know if all the lights go out or just the headlights. Not sure about the dash lights either - I never noticed if they go out too or not. I checked, cleaned the contacts, and reinstalled the fusible link for the headlights. It seems fine. Anybody else ever have this problem? Any suggestions on what to check & how to fix this problem. My '89 has never done this.

Thanks! :?
    Red '93 GL Auto & A/C
    Silver '89 L 4spd stick, A/C

Hmm...maybe check the connections to the battery and make sure the battery is strapped in securely?

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion... but no - the battery and connections are tight. Any other ideas anyone??
      Red '93 GL Auto & A/C

Comment

I had the same problem on my 93 TBird.

Turns out it was the multi-switch burning out (turn signals/etc). Happened twice.

Finally, Ford did issue a TSB, but since I didn't have receipts they wouldn't refund the $300 I had spent to fix it.
        www.dantheoilman.com
        AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
        Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
        Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

O.K. Thanks! That's what I thought too. Anyone out there have a new or know to be good multi-switch for a Festiva for sale??
          Red '93 GL Auto & A/C

Comment

sounds like a problem with your fusages. There should be two near the battery one red and one brown. Pull them out and check if they need replacing. Mine were rusted so i replaced the mnow everythink is fine. i think the fuage that you need will only cost about $6 AUD
            Ford Festiva 1992 Model, 1.3L 5 Door, Red, Mods- Roo-Bar with two spotlights, also stickers, on the bonnet, front window, and rear window

Comment

yeah always check the dumb stuff first. on my cougar i had a charging problem and replaced the alternator, battery, and battery cables, then the alternator again 2 more times, still didn't fix it. took it to the dealer because i was at wits end, sure enough it was a blown fuse in the power distribution block. paid 12 bucks labor to replace a fuse. turns out i had a short in the wiringgoing to the fuse and kept blowing the thing out. finally tracked it down and fixed it. moral of the story? just when you think your getting good at this car stuff you overlook something so simple it humbles you.
              Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
              1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
              1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
              2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

or check the cheap things :-)

Comment

Working...
                X