Alternator Pulley Info Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator Pulley Info Needed

I have almost replaced the engine in a '91 5-speed Festiva, but cannot complete the endeavor due to the pulleys on the replacement engine being incompatible with the pulley on the original alternator. The original belt has a cross-section that looks like a V, but the new engine's pulleys require a flat belt with 3 grooves, like a serpentine belt.

I've tried to see if i could move the pulleys from the old engine, but the pulleys wont interchange and the crankshaft sprockets are incompatible (new sprocket inside diameter is a few mm larger)

Judging from the flywheel, the replacement engine came from an automatic festiva. I'm unsure of the year, but it was fuel-injected.

Can anyone tell me if automatic had different alternator pulleys than manuals? Or what would have a matching pulley?

just use the alternator off of the new engine...?
    Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
    1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
    1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
    2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

... some parts not included.

Comment

hmm, i'd take a trip to the local junkyard. if you can i'd just pull the pulley off, so your not paying for an alternator too, but you'll need an impact wrench. then just swap the pulley onto your alternator. problem solved.
        Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
        1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
        1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
        2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

Autozone by me has free tool rental, and they have a puller for alternator pulleys.
          Brian
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
          :fish:

Comment

From FestivaMotorsport.com:

Not all B6 engines have this style of pulleys, some have the serpentine style. This is important because the engine and accessory pulleys have to be the same style in order for the accessories (like the alternator!) to work. All the Aspires have the serpentine style pulleys.
            So to the junkyard I go in search of Aspires. Hope the alternator shaft is of the same dimension so the pulleys will swap... anyone know?

Comment

if it helps judging on the discription of the belt it came from an aspire

Comment

Working...
              X