Getting Oil OUT!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Oil OUT!!!!

Ok My festiva blew a head gasket and cracked the head so what is the best way to get the oil coolant mix out of the rad. block etc.??

The drain plugs?

Comment

Gald you asked..your preparing to do more than most shops would do for you.

These are my techniques...please anyone else, chime in, I would love to learn.

The Radiator:
      Disconnect the lower hose from the water pump only and plug it (two small boards and a c-clamp work well)
      Fill it with dish soap (or dishwasher) and warm water and let sit a day
      Remove the clamp and flush with a garden hose (pull the drain plug at this time)
      The radiator is easy enough to pull out and do this. ( will give you some extra room with the head.)

To flush the cooling cavities in the block, wait until the engine is re-assembled, connect the U&L hoses to the block only and flush with a garden hose. Best to leave the t'stat out at this time to promote hi water flow. (don't forget to put it back in).

Oil cavities...buy lots of cheap oil and change the oil frequently....something like this...change oil after first hour of running...change oil and filter after second hour of running...change oil and filter after next 100 miles...change to the oil and filter of your preference. Whithout stripping the block this will be your best way...a cheap oil and filter change cost $10.

The same applies to the radiator...only keep an eye on it...and change as necessary.

When your ready to start the engine for the first time...be patient and alert...your going to blow/burn alot of smoke for the first ½ hour or so....as long after it gets less after the engine warms...you'll be ok.

Best of luck!
      Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
      The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

straight clean water and Cascade dishwasher detergent. Remove the thermostat, fill with water, add soap, start and let idle for 30-60min. Drain and repeat till the water comes out clear. This procedure comes straight from a TSB for Ford 6.0L Powerstroke diesel engines that have had a ruptured engine oil cooler.

Do NOT use regular dish detergent. It will foam up and blow out gaskets/hoses. It must be dishwasher detergent.
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Both sound good to me, as long as you have the radiator off of the engine, and flush very well, but safer jims way, as he stated. I agree completely with the multiple oil changes, having done same myself with gr8 results.
          Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
          Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
          "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by FB71

Do NOT use regular dish detergent. It will foam up and blow out gaskets/hoses. It must be dishwasher detergent.
            I accidentally used regular dish detergent in my parents' dishwasher one time(the bottle looked just like dishwasher detergent). BIG MESS!! Foam everywhere. It took me about an hour to defoam everything.

You definitely wouldn't want to put that in your car.

Comment

I never said put dish soap in the engine..I said in the rad and rinse.
              Joe Lutz

Comment

MMMMM ill be putting a new head on it so should I run it threw even with the new gasket or just ad the 50/50 mix till the head and gasket get to seat or just put that in first as soon as i put the engine back together

Comment

I wasn't disagreeing with you Joe. Your method would work too. I was referring to Jim's method. If you put regular dish soap in the radiator and ran it through the water pump, you'd have some major foam.

Comment

Originally posted by t-scene
                    MMMMM ill be putting a new head on it so should I run it threw even with the new gasket or just ad the 50/50 mix till the head and gasket get to seat or just put that in first as soon as i put the engine back together
                    Water will be ok but not for any extended period of time..antifreeze has lots of additives to help clean and lube the pump.

If you get a garden hose to run clean..I would sugest the 50/50..will be better because it raises the boiling point of the coolant...thus limiting the risk of overheating.
                    Joe Lutz

Comment

Originally posted by jglutz
                      Originally posted by t-scene
                      Water will be ok but not for any extended period of time..antifreeze has lots of additives to help clean and lube the pump.

If you get a garden hose to run clean..I would sugest the 50/50..will be better because it raises the boiling point of the coolant...thus limiting the risk of overheating.
                      heh? :?

both ethylene and propylene glycol only raise the boiling point 4 degrees F, from 212 to 216. Its the pressure developed by the system being sealed which raises the point of vaporization.

Do not use any coolant until the oil is flushed from the system. Glycol has a tendency to cause oil deposits to gel over, making them even more difficult to remove. Use clean water and dishwasher detergent first after you replace the head. Coolant has nothing to do with the sealing of the head gasket, proper torque and flat clean surfaces do.

Oh, and yes, I only meant for this to be done in a time span of a few hours to clean the system. DO NOT drive around with water and dish detergent in your cooling system.

By the way, this same flush works well to clean gelled silicate deposits from old coolant.
                      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

ok good i didnt want to have to worrie about pullin the head off again .....errrrr lol
                        so just fill it up with strait water add a bit of dishwasher liquid and let it run for about 30 mins drain it then run strait water drain it then ad the thermostat then the 50/50 mix then it would be clean and ready to roll?
                        should i leave the cap off so the steam wont build up pressure

Comment

run water and soap, drain. Look at what comes out. If it looks milky, do it again. Will most likely take 3 or 4 runs of water and soap. Then run clean water, drain, install t-stat and fill w/ 50/50. And no, don't leave the cap off.
                          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

ok just double checking i just dont wanna have to spend more $$$ and take it all apart again,, so fill it all the way up also

Comment

yup, close to full anyway. Leave room for some soap.
                              Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Working...
                              X