91 jumpy festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 91 jumpy festiva

I know something isn't adjusted right but what is it?? To get it rolling without jumping requires a very very slow engage of the clutch with it at about 1200rpm. And every gear after that it has a instant dead spot so it jerks a little bit. I think it's the TPS sensor but i've never been able to adjust right. Anybody???
    91 rusty Festiva 260k

My 93 has the same problem, I haven't figured it out either.

Comment

It could be your clutch. I've driven a car with a clutch that chatters. I had to rev the engine up quite a bit and feather the clutch to get a smooth engagement.

Also could be a tune up issue. You could have a miss due to bad plugs, wires, cap, etc. and this could cause it to jump. How does it idle?

matt

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
      BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
      BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
      New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

could b your vaf it could have a dead spot in it

Comment

I've wondered about the clutch but it shows no signs of slipping?? If I do it right I get what sounds like wheel hop. Everything ignition wise except the coil is new, got the premuim stuff and ngk plugs. Is the vaf supposed to hum? Unfornately it doesn't hum a good tune :lol: It idles good except for when the lights are on or fan, the pod/pot or whatever it's called I don't think it working. I used to drive alot of hwy but now its alot of city driving alot more annoying now. My dad also had a 93 that did the same thing.
          91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

your vaf or vain air flow meter shouldn't make any sounds except for a click here and there when u rev it up really fast and it snaps open.

Comment

I don't have experience with this problem in a Festy however based on what others have posted and what I have seen early FI Mustangs do when the vane type air meter sticks I think it would be wise to clean the airflow meter with carb cleaner spray and then lube the shaft... I would use "lock ease" (graphite impregnated liquid) as a lube if you have any... if this doesn't help the next thing I would check is your electrical connectors in the FI system ,,, if your motor looks like most you might have corrosion or oil/grease causing a high resistance somewhere.... just take them apart and clean with a "Q-tip" . The worst that could happen is that in touching all the parts you might discover something we haven't thought of that proves to be the root of the problem.

Comment

Working...
              X