Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speedometer Doesn't Work is the problem in the Transmision?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer Doesn't Work is the problem in the Transmision?

Has anyone had to dig into the manual transmission to get their speedometer to work?

Cable is good and I have 2 different speedometers that the cable will move. The speedo-gear looks good but I can't separate it from the cable.

Background: 1991 Festiva with about 120,000 miles, rebuilt engine May 07.

did you check the cable connection on the back of the speedo cluster?
    blue flake 89L shaved hatch, Lowered, BP swap in progress, bobtail bumper, 5spd tranny, acura 5 spoke 15" wheels and fiberglass dash

Comment

Yes I have checked it connects well. I have disconnected the speedo-gear and turned it and get the needle to move.

Comment

check the shape of the speedo driven gear on the sending unit. When you look at it from the side, does it have an hourglass shape, or are the sides square? If its hourglassed, chances are the drive gear on the diff is also, and they're no longer contacting each other. They would then both need to be replaced. Actually a fairly common problem on older transmissions.
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Originally posted by FB71
          check the shape of the speedo driven gear on the sending unit... If its hourglassed, chances are the drive gear on the diff is also... need to be replaced.
          I'll have to say from memory that it is an hourglass shape. The Festiva is under about 2 foot of snow taking a winter rest. I don't usually drive it in the winter, you know not much body work for "playing car hockey" on our roads Oct to April.

Thanks for the tip, I am not a trained mechanic. But this car and others allow me to learn.

My "QUALIFICATIONS:" Last spring I took the head off and got a value job at a local shop,while I figured how to get the engine and transaxle out. I then took the shortblock in to the local shop and they replaced everythin just about. My friend and I with the Haynes Service Manual put a new cam in, and got it all back together and it works!

I hear standard transmissions are relatively easy compared to automatics. The Synchros for 3rd gear are worn. Given the above shall I start this project.

Have any other FordFestiva.com'mers had success changing the Transaxle's synchros & speedo-drive gear?

Comment

personally, if i have transmission problems in a festiva, there cheap enough, i'd just change the whole transmission, that's what i would do though

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid
              personally, if i have transmission problems in a festiva, there cheap enough, i'd just change the whole transmission, that's what i would do though
              Yes, after doing some parts hunting in Southern California last winner and seeing some trany prices here in FF.com, I understand your suggest. However, shipping to Anchorage is expensive as it is to the Yukon, etc.

That is why I rebuilt the original 1300cc engine. There is one junk yard here that has Festivas. But their prices are usually twice what you would likely pay in the populated southern Canada or the Lower 48.

Any readers rebuilt a manual trany?

Comment

Working...
              X