need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help

i have a 90 festiva with 1.3 fi. the car idles great and so far had no trouble until recently. it has 251000 miles tho. the car spits and almost dies goin down the road...accelerating and cruising... as if the thing aint getting any gas. i replaced the fuel filter and air filter, it is getting fire but still does this. the check engine light comes on only when its messin up. auto parts store cant check the check engine light bc it only comes on when it does this...any suggestions?
    90 L FI..second B3
    90 L Parts car
    Jay

Fuel pump going bad possibly? When was the last time the plugs, wires and distributor cap were replaced?

Comment

jump the sto connector to ground and run it once like that and see if it clears up. if it does then it is a sensor or is sensor related if not then it is time to start going through every thing one thing at a time

Comment

im not sure what the sto connecter is. i have a haynes manual tho...il look it up. i know its getting proper fuel pressure and the injectors are good...i have ran fuel injector cleaner in my tank for the last 5000 miles. its a sensor for sure. just cant find out what one. the check engine light came on goin down the road so i did a test the maual told me to do..(makes the check engine light blink a code) and the code was the oxygen sensor. i replaced it and it didnt do a damn thing. but the check engine light has not come on yet. im lost...bout ready to take it to a ford dealership and tell em to fix it.
        90 L FI..second B3
        90 L Parts car
        Jay

Comment

oh...from rotor button to plugs is also replaced
          90 L FI..second B3
          90 L Parts car
          Jay

Comment

the sto is the one wire test connector

Comment

oh. i did the 1 wire test. it said it was the o2 sensor but replacing that didnt do anything. il have to drive it till the light comes on again i guess. its wanting to cut out when you give it gas. its electrical for sure tho.
              90 L FI..second B3
              90 L Parts car
              Jay

Comment

clogged injectors, not enough air, ignition coil going out***, i don't think it is the tps, timming off**, fuel pump relay makes sense, fuel pump going out, clogged filter on the pump... list goes on... PM FB71 about this he is a ford tech and if he is willing to help then he could prolly help alot!

Comment

thanks rotinaj13
                  90 L FI..second B3
                  90 L Parts car
                  Jay

Comment

do a compression test on it as well... One of my festy's did the same thing would idle rough when u gave it gas it would cut out. it turned out to be a broke valve fixed the valve and it ran like a champ

Comment

:shock: never thought of that...after work il check.
                      90 L FI..second B3
                      90 L Parts car
                      Jay

Comment

pull your plugs and see how the fuel is burning.. Might be running way rich as well that would make it wanna cut when u give it more gas.

Comment

i did notice when i changed the plugs...2 of the plugs were burnt red
                          90 L FI..second B3
                          90 L Parts car
                          Jay

Comment

what would regulate the richness of the mix?
                            90 L FI..second B3
                            90 L Parts car
                            Jay

Comment

burnt red?? thats an odd one. hmmmm might be rust did ur car sit for a while? it might be rust from the cyclender walls on ur plugs from running it and the rings on the pistons scraping rust off... better do a compression test. hmmmm well I am gonna go search for some food for thought...

Comment

Working...
                              X