Cleaning Pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Pistons

Any seguestions for removing all the carbon and varnish? i cant get much of it off. how clean sould i get them anyways?
    89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
    RIP 90LX

Are the pistons in or out of engine?
    Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
    99 Dodge Caravan SE
    95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
    94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
    78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
    78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
    03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
    95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
    95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
    95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

RIP 90LX

Comment

pummis soap and a tooth brush works good for me, just dont get the "smooth spots" (side walls and piston pin holes) scratched up to bad. it works good

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
        1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

If your not going to take the wrist pins out, soak them in something to keep them from hardening.

Piston tops: a wire wheel will work fine.

Piston side walls: wetted steel wool or scotch-brited

Piston grooves: The make a groove cleaning tool...or I break a used ring and grind a chisel like point on it to scrape the crud out of the groove.

For a cleaning agent (wetted) I use a 50/50 mix of kerosen and 30W ND oil or Liquid Wrench.

From your picts, your stuff looks really clean....if it's the varnish only on the bottom side...thats verry normal and won't hurt anything. If I was going to get all the varnish out...i take the parts to an automotive machine shop that has heated ultrasonic tanks.
          Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
          The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

the kerosene/oil mix would work better than solvent/carb cleaner? cause thats what ive been trying with.
            RIP 90LX

Comment

Solvent carb cleaner is better at cleaning...no doubt. I only use it n small parts or jobs, The kero/oil mixture is simple , works well, and does not evaporate as quickly. I typically soak the parts when I'm done for the night and clean then the following day.

the local NAPA sells carb cleaner in a one gallon metal paint can...inside it has a basket for dipping parts....about ±$15...I have a used them from time to time...it's still not as good as aresol Gumout.

My favor for kero/30W comes from my table top degreasing tank...cheap and works well.
              Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
              The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

I keep different sized containers and a jug of solvent in my workshop. Often to clean parts I just have to put them in a container (glass ro plastic), pour in some solvent, put the top on, shake, and leave overnight. If the part sticks out the top I put the whole thing in a plastic bag and close it up tight so the solvent doesn't evaporate. When done pour the sovent back into the jug and let the sediment settle out to the bottom. For a piston, for example, I'd stick each head down in a plastic peanut butter tub with enough solvent to cover the grooves and slip into a plastic bag. Not too good if you're in a hurry but I'm never in a hurry any more.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

simple green, hot water, a toothbrush, and a broken ring worked for me. I used a dremel with a wire brush to clean the tops, and soak and wash the rest. Also used some solvent on the more stubborn stuff, and a little crocus cloth where necessary to shine things up. Make sure you give everything a good soaking with WD40 or something afterwards to keep it from sticking!
                  ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                  91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                  1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                  2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Working...
                  X