changing old water pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing old water pump

I have never worked on a Festiva and cannot find any pubs on changing the water pump.
    Currently 151,045 miles and first part to be replaced. Dealer has changed 2 timing belts but no longer works on cars over 10 years old or with ore than 100,000 miles.

I'm retired and time is not a problem. I once worked as a mechanic for Studebaker. I'm old, fat and like to do it myself when I have time. I have time now.
    please E-mail me at L16303@cox.net.

Call me Fuzzy

JCB where you located ? city/state
    Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
    99 Dodge Caravan SE
    95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
    94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
    78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
    78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
    03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
    95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
    95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
    95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

Welcome Fuzzy, if you go into your profile you can add your location...helps with numerous things, like when asking help questions there may be someone nearby that can offer assistance for example.
      I did mine this past summer but the engine was out of the car so it made it easy. Not a whole lot to them, hopefully someone will see this and help you ...I am brain dead and forget what all I had to do to change it. Know the cover needs to come off the side and the pully comes off and not sure if the timing belt needs to or not.
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Just did mine last week, easy as pie!
        Remove air cleaner box, and tube to intake
        remove acc belt, alt does not get in the way
        remove top timing belt cover
        remove crank shaft pulley and bolt
        remove bottom TBC
        Set to TDC, crankshaft has a large "key" on back side of sprocket
        that should face at exactly 12 oclock
        canshaft has 2 marks, one should line up with mark on valve cover at 12 oclock, and another mark lines up at 3 oclock
        Loosen tensioner, slide back, and tighten to hold it in place
        remove TB
        4 bolts to remove pump
        2 bolts to remove inlet
        clean all contact areas, install new pump in reverse.
        Did I miss anything? Mine does not have ac, so something may have to be done to clear out ac components if you have ac.....

The first time I did this, I removed(cut off) the bottom half of the bottom timing belt cover that goes around the crank, and can now remove the cover without removing the crank pulley, much easier to do a pump that way!
        Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
        Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
        "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

^^That 's really good.

I would add:
          Prior to sliding the timing belt off, mark the belt to the upper sprocket...then...the belt to the lower sprocket with a paint marker or similar...when re-installing the belt just line up the marks...makes it a no brainer...I usually put two marks on the top sprocket. The Festiva allingnment marks can be tricky.

The two bolts on the flange will most likely be tough to get out....when you buy a new pump...pick up two new bolts...they will probally break.

When you relax the tensioner to put it back in place...make sure it's properly tightened...meaning the center is secure, not sliding...the spring is not to take up tension while running but to assist during positioning.

The hardest thing to do will be removing the lower sheave. Overall..it's a pretty simple job.
          Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
          The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

you can mark the belt if you plan to reuse it, but if you do one, either belt, or pump, you should go ahead and do the other!

good point about the tensioner, although I have never broken a bolt off on my festy, it happens on a lot of WP jobs....

Comment

^^ Even if you are changing the timing belt, still mark it as advised and then transfer the marks to the new belt....If the timing is in working order...I always mark it..an anal trick that always works.
              Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
              The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Huh, never thought of it like that. I personally don't find the marks tricky, so I just use them, however, that would be a nice way to keep it double checked, I may start using it, dunno...

Comment

Working...
                X