Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Emergency brake light randomly coming on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency brake light randomly coming on.

The E-brake light has been randomly coming on when the brake isn't engaged. It's always on when the brake is but after releasing the brake it might stay on, it might not, and then it might just randomly come on when driving.
    The brakes are releasing, so whats up?

i think its the switch on the e-brake that turns on the light that is not "adjusted" right. it might be to close and when you hit a bump or somthing it switches on. pull apart the center console where your e-brake sits and check the switch in it.

anyone else have any ideas? feel free to corect me if im wrong.

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
    1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Check the fluid in the master cylinder too... it isn't JUST a light for the emergency brake, it's also an indicator of brake trouble elsewhere.
      Have had 6 Festys... and counting...

My Website:
      http://www.StanfordMotorSports.com

Car Domain:
      http://www.cardomain.com/id/Quaddawg
      My Garage Page:
      http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/vb...o=view&id=6724

Comment

Originally posted by quaddawg
        Check the fluid in the master cylinder too... it isn't JUST a light for the emergency brake, it's also an indicator of brake trouble elsewhere.
        x2

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Switch could be sticking. Spray with WD-40 or apply a couple drops of oil. Switch is under plastic cover beside driver's seat. Unscrew plastic cover.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

thanks, I'll take a look toay and see what I find. BTW, what is the proper brake fluid for a festy?

Comment

i just use any normal brake fluid, always worked good for me

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
              1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
              2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Dot 3
                96 Ford F-150 XLT
                93 Festiva L (Modified)
                92 Festiva L
                68 Mustang GT 428cj

Comment

this has happened to me on both my cars in the past

top up the brake fluid was the cure
                  93' Festiva gl 1.3 5spd
                  94' Mx3 gs 2.5 5spd

Comment

so I topped up the brake fluid, it wasn't bad but it was approaching the low side. And I pulled off the console, cleaned all the junk out and gave the switch a good spray.

So far everything is back to normal.

Thanks!

Comment

Ok, let me first tell you that i am an automotive technician. Secondly, never ever just top off your brake fluid. when your brake light comes on, it means one of two things, A) your fluid is leaking somewhere, and you need to find and fix the problem. or B) your brakes are worn so far that the fluid is not holding in the master cylinder. This being said, take your car to a professional shop and have them check your brake system. or if you want to do it yourself, check all your hoses, hard lines, front brakes, rear brakes, and check your rear wheel cylinders for leakage( sometimes you have to pull the boots off and look).

Let me reiterate NEVER JUST TOP OFF YOUR BRAKE FLUID.

Comment

^^Your right but be carfull...On some car the idiot light will come on before a resonable wear point...this is not that uncommon. Also whenever a full brake job has been completed and after the cylinders have been extended...the reservoir should be adjusted to read exactly max/full...this sets a bench mark to go by. I've seen techs...prior to pullling the wheels take a bulb syringe and remove fluid before pushing cylinders in and then never top it off.

Your right about adding fluid and assuming every thing is ok...my point is, in some cases it might be...just make sure when all the pads are new...make sure you know where the level is.
                        Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                        The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Well, I know the brakes aren't worn to a dangerous level. They were fresh when I bought the car and I looked at them about a month ago when the wheels were off and theres hardly any wear.
                          There may be a small leak somewhere in the brakes but if there is it is very small, as in it's lost maybe a couple of spoonfulls of fluid in the last 10,000kms.
                          I'm pretty paranoid about maintenance so I keep on top of everything but I'm pretty postivie it was just the switch screwing with the light.

Comment

Working...
                          X