E-Brake problem...broke ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-Brake problem...broke ?

I pulled up on my e brake last night and it "popped".We have too much snow for me to get out under it right now,so,I was just checking to see what you all think from experience.It felt like it came undone or broke.Never had any kind of problem before.???? :?

Can unscrew the plastic cover beside the driver's seat and check the front end of the cable avoiding contact with snow. Can jack up car and remove rear wheel to check other end avoiding lying in snow.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

The cable has probably broken by the rear passenger wheel. Has happened to me a couple of times.
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Cheap fix ? FMS has them,but,almost 100 bucks.!Not in budget , right now.I still have to check it ,though.

Comment

i have a good spare festiva e-brake cable, if you need it PM me, i'll sell it for $20

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaca
            The cable has probably broken by the rear passenger wheel. Has happened to me a couple of times.
            Exactly

There are two cables...one from the handle to the back cross memeber....the other connects to the first and spans between the rear wheels....Not a tough job in a WARM DRY GARGE.

Mine broke +/- 8 years ago.

Mine would have lasted a lot longer if i kept it cleaned and lubed...at least yearly of more frequently the exposed part of the cable should be cleaned and coated with wire cable lube.
            Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
            The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Yeah they seem to break only when there's snow out.
              It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

mine broke where it passes thru the cable guide on the axle close to the brake backing plate. i went to the hardware store and got some cable the same size and some cable joiners or furrels what ever they are called and spliced the new piece in. has worked fine for the last two years.
                1960 willys pickup
                1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
                1989 festiva
                1990 festiva for parts
                1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

^^ That is a great fix , I did the same thing , but I double clamped them on each new end of the splice , with those small cable clamps .

Just to make sure they would not pull apart on a hard pull.

Mine did pull apart when I had just 1 on there .
                  ------------------------------------------------
                  The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                  Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                  HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                  Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                  Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                  Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                  Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                  90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                  It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Me three. There are pictures from me and somebody else in here somewhere showing the repair (which is still holding up just fine for me).

Comment

Working...
                    X