Air/Fuel Mixture carburetor adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air/Fuel Mixture carburetor adjustment

Hi guys, I have a B3 SOHC Kia Pride engine(i don't know the Ford Festiva's equivalent) and i am trying to adjust the air/fuel mixture. May i know how to go about this in detail? I know mine is not set properly since there is a slight brownish smoke coming out of the muffler and too much fuel consumption than normal. Well it runs smooth though but the smoke coming out is rather an eye soar.. Can somebody out there who is carb expert help me?

A want to know also: (synchronization of idle screw and air/fuel mixture positioning)

You help is highly appreciated...

According to 2 different Ford source books, (1989 Festiva Shop Manual and the 1988 Festiva Engine, Emissions and Related Systems publication), the mixture adjustment screw is protected by an anti-tamper plug after it is set by the manufacture. The Ford shop manual references using an "Exhaust Gas Analyzer" and to adjust to register a CO reading of 1.0-2.0%. I don't know if you have one of those handy?

As for your curb idle adjustment: NOTE: the ignition timing should be set before adjusting the idle speed. the curb idle speed adjustment must be done while the cooling fan is not operating. If the fan comes on during the adjustment, separate the fan wiring connector located on the left side of the fan shroud.
    1. Place the transmission in neutral and firmly set the parking brake.
    2. Connect a tachometer.
    3. Bring engine to normal operating temp.
    4. Turn off all lights and accessories.
    5. read the idle speed. the idle speed should be 700-750 rpm.
    If the idle speed is not right turn the adjusting screw located on the right side of the carb.
    Kevin
    '93 L (BP{T} Sold
    '90 L Plus Sold
    '94 Mercury Capri XR2 sold

Comment

qaking, thanks for the info, but i am more concerned with adjustment on the air/fuel mixture knob, btw, i don't have any gauge to use and i'm only dependent on the hear, feel and see. So how do i go about adjusting correctly(well nearest will do) the air/fuel?

Comment

spectator, I have never adjusted the air/fuel mixture on my carburetor'd Festiva in the 4 years I have owned it. Sorry, maybe someone else can answer your question :wink:
        Kevin
        '93 L (BP{T} Sold
        '90 L Plus Sold

Comment

KEVIN: sure you have you add gas and turn the fan up and down there is fuel/air....

Comment

heh funny. are you sure it's off? alot of smke usually means your buning oil.
            Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
            1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
            1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
            2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

Originally posted by aithanmier
              heh funny. are you sure it's off? alot of smke usually means your buning oil.
              if you're smoke is bluish white. you can it's burning oil!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rotinaj13
                KEVIN: sure you have you add gas and turn the fan up and down there is fuel/air....
                hmmm.. i doubt you've ever seen a carburetor...

Comment

dude my gti race car had a holley on it my volvo has a weber on it, my festiva used to have a carb on it, and I have a 750 alch racing duble pumper sitting here.... been around carb's alot I just prefer FI acctually I was just picking on kevin since he is hardly ever here any more

Comment

Originally posted by rotinaj13
                    dude my gti race car had a holley on it my volvo has a weber on it, my festiva used to have a carb on it, and I have a 750 alch racing duble pumper sitting here.... been around carb's alot I just prefer FI acctually I was just picking on kevin since he is hardly ever here any more
                    oks.. sori din brod, nangangailangan lang kasi ako ng proper info.

Comment

also picking on him b/c out of his 89 post 60 of them were prolly tryin to help me LMAO

Comment

hell i got that beat...i think i have used 300 of my posts trying to help you out...the other 200 went to yelling at noobs for not searching :twisted:
                        Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
                        1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
                        1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
                        2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

Helping AJ drove me into the loony bin for a couple of months :geek:
                          I just escaped a week ago and started posting again :twisted:

Just kidding AJ :toothy2:
                          Kevin
                          '93 L (BP{T} Sold
                          '90 L Plus Sold

Comment

well i am glad I am making all the posting whores in the board LOL :-P redligt_post.dom ready for buis LOL and Kevin only reason u escaped is cause u fallowed me LOL in one week they will come for the both of us!

Comment

Originally posted by spectator
                              qaking, thanks for the info, but i am more concerned with adjustment on the air/fuel mixture knob, btw, i don't have any gauge to use and i'm only dependent on the hear, feel and see. So how do i go about adjusting correctly(well nearest will do) the air/fuel?
                              Have you tried going to an emissions testing center? I mean not for the certificate (when you're renewing your registration)? I had my AFM adjusted there a couple of times to just below the regulation levels for CO, and just gave the dudes who operate the Exhaust Analyzer some "merienda fee".
                              1998 Kia Pride CD5

Comment

Working...
                              X