No announcement yet.

Will A 91 Engine & Tranny Fit In A 88?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will A 91 Engine & Tranny Fit In A 88?

I have an 1988 Ford Festiva 4 Speed Manual that needs a new engine and I want to swap the transmission to a 5 speed.

Will a 1991 engine and transmission fit in my 1988?

Will I need to make any kind of changes, ecu ect?

1. they're the same engine (block and head) and the trans are the same on the outside as well so yes they'll fit

2. if you transfer everything (intake, dist. etc.) from the 88 engine onto the 91 engine, it's as simple as remove and replace,

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

it will fit. are you changing it to fuel injection too? or are you just taking block/head assembly into the carb setup? if you are going to fuel injection, you need to change gas tanks and other things. not sure what. if its just block/head, then it should work and bolt right on.
      89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
      http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
      92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
      New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

Comment

Originally posted by geezerstiva
        it will fit. are you changing it to fuel injection too? or are you just taking block/head assembly into the carb setup? if you are going to fuel injection, you need to change gas tanks and other things. not sure what. if its just block/head, then it should work and bolt right on.

I want to remove the 1988 Engine and do complete swap for the 1991 engine and transmission. I was just wondering if I would run into any problems or difficulties.

The reason for the swap is because I have a rod knock (I think) and the car will not start. I still need to have my mechanic look at it. But he advised me to put a new motor in it. I found the motor at a junk yard for $150 and transmission for $50, but its from a 91 and I have an 88.

Comment

As stated the 91 will be FI, the 88 is Carb'd. The engine and transmission mounts are in the same locations so the engine will bolt right in, but you need to decide if you want it to be Carb'd or FI. if you want carb'd then you just swap the manifolds etc from the 88 engine to the 91 block and head. If you want FI you will need to change the wiring harness, ECU, and fuel pump to the ones from the 91.
          ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
          91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
          1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
          2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Originally posted by skeeters_keeper
            As stated the 91 will be FI, the 88 is Carb'd. The engine and transmission mounts are in the same locations so the engine will bolt right in, but you need to decide if you want it to be Carb'd or FI. if you want carb'd then you just swap the manifolds etc from the 88 engine to the 91 block and head. If you want FI you will need to change the wiring harness, ECU, and fuel pump to the ones from the 91.
            Thanks so much for all the information guys! That's everything I needed to know. I'm soo eager to get my Festiva back on the road, I miss it. My mechanic is coming over tommorrow to take a look at it. I found the 1991 engine and transmission, hopefully they will give me both for ~$200. Maybe the whole care for a little more. If I have any other questions, i'll be sure to post.

Comment

yeah... skeeter said it much better than me. :lol:
              89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
              http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
              92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
              New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

Comment

Working...
              X