A/C compressor not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C compressor not working

My A/C compressor isnt working. It was working before my festy caught on fire (nice...) but when I got it working again(3 years later), it doesnt engage. I can here a "click" noise when i press the switch on and off but the compressor doesnt turn. It looks quite dirty but im also wondering if its just not getting power. A friend of mine also mentioned to me that there are supposed to be two wires going to the compressor but I only see one. Maybe its just hidden really well or my buddy is wrong :lol: Some help would be much appreciated.

-Yamir

I know that the A/C compressor in my 89 Voyager uses an electromagnet to engage the clutch for the compressor. You definetally need 2 wires to this unit. The current goes in and the current must be in a complete circuit for the clutch to work. The click might be a shorted magnet. Or a magnet that only gets a second of power.

Just my $0.02

Comment

Run a wire from the pos. battery terminal to the wire going to the compressor. If the compressor clicks the clutch is working.

Regards,

Tim
      White '89L auto - Sold!
      Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Thanks Tim.. the compressor works! but i figured that the problem lies in a little connector that is connected to the reciever/dryer... sources suggest its a low pressure sensor? i bypassed the switch too and the compressor engaged.. i cant seem to find it in part stores... they sell the reciever/dryer but it doesnt have that little sensor/switch..

atleast the compressor is good... didnt want to spend 300 bucks on a new one. i guess i could run the A/C with a paperclip bypassing the sensor/switch?
        :wink:

thanks.

-Yamir

Comment

That's correct. It's a pressure switch.

Just short it out and you should be fine as long as the engine does not overheat. Otherwise the pressure valve on the compressor will pop and you'll lose some freon.

Regards,

Tim
          White '89L auto - Sold!
          Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Working...
          X