Starter Problem. Works ,most of the time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Problem. Works ,most of the time

Every-once-in-a-while I go to start my trusty Festy and it makes that grinding sound and on next click it works perfect.Any ideas ?

Loose ground somewhere?
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

Hmmm.when it gets 70 outside I will go check that .! Just kidding.
      __________________________________________________ ______
      Still winning your sticker ??

Comment

check and make sure starter is mated up tight. It used to be possible to "shim" the starter to make it match up better, but was mostly guesswork. Could be the rod is bent, or a tooth on the starter or flywheel is bad.....
        Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
        Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
        "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Thanks,Guys.I will check this.

Comment

try getting a new ground and ground our trans and stater i had this issue before if not that your silinoid wire is bad i redid mine as well and it runs but i need head bolts now lol and i lost 3 of them so yeah i'm in over my head

Comment

I have to ask, how does a loose ground cause starter grinding?

Comment

^^^good question...i thought the same....
                an intermittent circuit could cause rapid on-off-on-off-on-off.......
                thus the engagement could be in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out......
                producing a grinding like sound...it's possible.
                Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

^^Thats what I was thinking when I said that. It is really hard to identify a sound over the internet.
                  Brian
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                  :fish:

Comment

ok, I get it now. Mine has what I call "starter grind". the flywheel and starter teeth not properly engaging. Since I am approaching 600,000 miles at a rapid pace, I figger I can't cuss em for giving out oh so slowly. I get pretty much what he is describing, sometimes I turn the key and it grinds. wait a sec, turn and start. My grounds are fine, so yeah.

Comment

It sounds like maybe the pinion gear isn't popping out as far as it should thus not engaging properly. Sounds like the starter could be just wearing out.

Comment

yeah.! scitzz1 << explained it , exactly.!

Comment

I thought someone else would have mentioned this.........
                          It probalbly would be a good idea before buying a new starter...to remove the existing and on a bench insure that the solenoid/bendix feature is working properly and not just dirty.
                          Also while the starter is out.....pull the spark plugs....have some one turn the front sheave with a socket or wrench....while the engine is turning....look in the hole where the starter was mounted and make sure all of the flywheel teeth are there...hate to see you buy a new starter and the problem not be fixed...I'm not sure about festivas loosing their teeth....but it not an uncommon problem....especially with the women I date
                          Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                          The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Originally posted by jglutz
                            I thought someone else would have mentioned this.........
                            It probalbly would be a good idea before buying a new starter...to remove the existing and on a bench insure that the solenoid/bendix feature is working properly and not just dirty.
                            Also while the starter is out.....pull the spark plugs....have some one turn the front sheave with a socket or wrench....while the engine is turning....look in the hole where the starter was mounted and make sure all of the flywheel teeth are there...hate to see you buy a new starter and the problem not be fixed...
                            Yeh, that was kinda what I was suggesting to check, but was too lazy to type it. I need to do that eventually on mine

Originally posted by jglutz
                            I'm not sure about festivas loosing their teeth....but it not an uncommon problem....especially with the women I date...

Dude. :shock:

Comment

Are you sure that flywheel teeth could be an issue? My experience is if it's the flywheel then just trying to start it again doesn't work because the bad flywheel teeth are still in the same position. If waiting fixes the problem then I'm still sure it has to do with the starter somehow. Mabe teeth on the pinion gear or something with the solenoid in the starter. Still, I may be wrong. Been wrong before. So it doesn't hurt to check the flywheel teeth before investing in a new starter or other part.

Comment

Working...
                              X