Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging Problem

1988 festiva L Carbed 1.3L 4-speed

Ok here is what happened. My alternator was not charging according to the voltage reading at the battery terminals. I removed it and took it to the parts store and they confirmed it was bad. New one was $130 so I went to the scrap yard. I found one out of a new model (91-92?). It had the same mounting setup just a different 2 wire connector but the connector was on it so I bought it. I took this "new" alternator to the parts store and it tested good putting out 15volts. I cut of my old connector and wired on the new style one put it all back together and it still didn't charge. I checked my wiring and notice I had somehow pulled the wire out of the single wire connector :evil: . I traced this wire and it goes to the choke on the carb??? What is the purpose of this wire? Would it cause it not to charge if it is disconnected?
    ~Scott

1989 Festiva L EFI

2010 Toyota Prius

lol if the choke dont turn on no fuel can be inputted into the carb is moves a metal flap inside the carb i have the same thing on my 88....

Comment

ok, carbed cars have a unique alternator, as you've discovered. The wire that goes to the carb is for the electric choke heater. Its a center-tap off of the stator, providing around +7v to the choke. It does not stop charging if it is disconnected, but the carb's choke will not open, either, causeing the engine to flood and stall when warm. You really need to find an alt off a carbed car. Post a [WTB] add in the "For Sale" forum,and I'm sure someone here has a good one they will sell you at a reasonable price. Check with batstiva, he's parting out and '88.
      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

i'm looking for altinator i bet your volt regulator and reluctifier are bad mine were and i have to buy the parts for the one i'm putting back together also looking for parts
        Spelling cow can be your friend .

I am looking for a alternator also , I bet your voltage regulator and rectifier are bad , mine were.
        I have to buy parts for the one I am putting back together , also looking for parts .

Comment

umm last "Check with batstiva, he's parting out and '88." i was told the alt is bad so yeah i have one i'm re building and i will definitly let u know cause my other one is in my garage let me see

Comment

Originally posted by 88festiva1.3l
            i'm looking for altinator i bet your volt regulator and reluctifier are bad mine were and i have to buy the parts for the one i'm putting back together also looking for parts
            what????

what the heck is a "reluctifier"????????????? :confused2:
            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Alternator Rectifier""

BWD Automotive Voltage Regulator""

Comment

Oh well this must have been from a carb car then because it has a place to plug this wire in I just accidently pulled the wire out of the connector. Maybe I wired the two wire connector backwards?
                ~Scott

1989 Festiva L EFI

2010 Toyota Prius

Comment

BWD is a brand name.

A rectifier converts alternating current (sine wave, AC) into direct current (flat or square wave, DC). Its comprised of a bridge assembly of diodes, and has nothing to do with voltage regulation.

A voltage regulator is an electromechanical or solid state device which senses the electrical pressure (voltage) of the charging system, and adjusts output of the alternator accordingly. It does this by duty cycling the ground-side current to the rotor, varying the strength of the gauze field generated, which induces current flow withing the stator windings.

Now, instead of wildly throwing parts at something, would you like a testing procedure to help determine what exactly has failed?
                  Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Is there an easy way of knowing if I wired up this 2 wire connector backwards? I put the original black with red stripe wire to the new solid red wire and the original white with black stripe wire to the new black with red stripe wire? Now that I think about it It does sound like I did it backward.
                    ~Scott

1989 Festiva L EFI

2010 Toyota Prius

Comment

http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/?N=9176&Nr=OR(AND(make:Ford,model:Festiva,year:198 8),AND(universal:1))&Vi=1616+10403+4294966989&y=19 88&mk=Ford&md=Festiva

Comment

thats for the altinator a cheap price umm u need a new choke my friend i can actually point u in the right direction so u can replace it and get your car running again with a new altinator

Comment

Originally posted by 88festiva1.3l
                          http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/?N=9176&Nr=OR(AND(make:Ford,model:Festiva,year:198 8),AND(universal:1))&Vi=1616+10403+4294966989&y=19 88&mk=Ford&md=Festiva
                          Please use 'Tiny URL' when posting a long link like this. There's a button for it just above the green Festiva caricature at the top of every page. Thanks.
                          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

There is nothing wrong with my choke! Other than the fact that the power supply for the heater is not plugged in. The title of this thread is Charging Problem If I removed the choke completely it should still charge. Hell, you don't even need an engine if you can spin it up fast enough. They checked the alternator at the auto parts store and said it should work I just need to figure out my wiring problem.
                            ~Scott

1989 Festiva L EFI

2010 Toyota Prius

Comment

well i know 91 alt and 92 and 93 do not belong on a 88 89 -87 also its says right in all data so yeah get the reman ufactured the site i send here has it for $107.00 cheaper then some sites for this misubishi alt....

Comment

Working...
                              X