interchangeable speedometer cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interchangeable speedometer cable?

My speedometer went out not too long ago.
    I got it working again for a little while, but during a recent long road trip it stopped working again and hasn't worked again since.
    The small tab that holds it down and keeps the cable from unscrewing from the tranny broke off.
    I'm wondering if I'd be able to successfully use a speedometer cable from another car?
    Aspire maybe? Mazda?
    My Festiva is a 5-speed.
    Thanks!
    Jim

The piece that broke off is what holds the drive gear assembly into the tranny. The speedometer cable screws onto the top of the drive gear. Go to the junkyard and grab the drive gear and attaching bolt from another 5-speed and you will be back in business. :wink:
    Kevin
    '93 L (BP{T} Sold
    '90 L Plus Sold
    '94 Mercury Capri XR2 sold

Comment

Thanks qaking, now I've just gotta make some time to search the yards.
      I'm still curious though as far as a new cable is concerned; are there any other speedometer cables which'll interchange without modifications?
      Thanks for your reply!
      Jim

Comment

Jim, I don't know the answer to the interchangeability question. I see them on eBay every now and again for cheap, but chances are yours is still functional and the gear assembly simply popped up and became disengaged from the transmission drive gear. :wink:
        Kevin
        '93 L (BP{T} Sold
        '90 L Plus Sold

Comment

O.K., thanks.
          Hmmm...maybe I can fab a small plate or something to hold the gear in place, and just use a longer screw. I'll think of something short of taking a trip to the junkie.

Comment

it doesn't really matter about the interchangability b/c it would throw ur speed off unless u find another mazda with 12r tires on it and the same gear ratio... i'd just do like kevin (qaking) said

Comment

That is 1 of my pet pieves about Festivas.. I have broken 4 of them YES, 4!! :evil:

Take it from me, once you get a replacement make sure there is no dirt under he tab and for pete's sake DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN that stupid 10mm bolt.

Comment

The stupid tab and drive gear are made out of some kind of pot metal, so JB WELD does not really work for very long :evil: I have went thru 2 of them myself what a piss-poor design :angryfire:
                Kevin
                '93 L (BP{T} Sold
                '90 L Plus Sold

Comment

I made my own hold down after I broke mine. Mine is a collar that fits over it and has a tab for the bolt

Comment

Mine has that same collar that screws down over the whole thing. What does the bolt hold on? I forgot to take a close look while I had it out of the car. Now it's one of the three small things keeping my b6 from running.
                    OX SMASH!!

Comment

it screws into the tranny and holds down a small tab that keeps the speedo gear in the tranny and sealed

Comment

It also doubles as the tranny fluid dipstick :wink:
                        Kevin
                        '93 L (BP{T} Sold
                        '90 L Plus Sold

Comment

LOL thanks for covering for me kevin

Comment

Working...
                          X