shifter drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shifter drop

I just got a '91 in ok shape. It will need an engine in the near future (any one have a B6 they want to give up?), but my first concern is the shifter. Seems like the rubber thing'y has worn out, and the shifter drops down. I saw someone selling a bracket, but is it safe to drive for a short trip?
    I work with metal so fabrication isn't a problem, but time can be! I need to get this home to my shop.

BTW. what makes a shifter a short throw? Is it longer or shorter from the ball to the shift rod?

Short or shift!

Longer from the ball to the linkage, AKA(Shift Rod).

Comment

I know someone was/is selling brackets to fix this. Has anyone used one... do they/you have pics?

Comment

Well I got the car home without a problem... just had to hold the shifter up to make sure it didn't drop. I was looking at it though and realized the rubber bushing (between the mount and shifter body) was shot. I had an idea. What about using rubber caulk to remake the bushing? Any ideas?

Comment

anti drop

check out the for sale section, and send me an email

Chris Rummel

Comment

I've got a B6 that I want to get rid of...

Simon
            Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

SimonTuffGuy, I know.... didn't sound like a bad idea, but I haven't got your email with the info. Any pics?

Comment

Other options

I finally am able to get back to working on my newest festy. The shifter has dropped and I know about the aftermarket brace. My question is, Where would I find a part number of the original rubber piece, and which route is better the brace or the original part. thanks

Comment

shifter drop

that's up to you, spend the $150 or so the dealer charges (if you can find it) and end up with the rubber donut that will still eventually fail or have me sell you a bracket that solves the problem, for $25 shipped your choice.
                  :wink:
                  Chris Rummel

Comment

sounds good

How does your bracket work, Hook up ect. Pictures? and how do you want to get paid.
                    Thanks Mike

Comment

bracket

It bolts on under the shifter and holds up the whole shebang without binding. I'll take either paypal or a money order. I don't know if i have any made up right now, I'll have to check the garage, but even if I dont' I can make up a new batch.
                      Chris Rummel

Comment

if you get under the car with a mig welder (maybe a stick would work too but i never tried) and weld the assembly up on each side, bypassing the stupid dounut thing. all it takes is a really good tack on each side. it will never fall apart again.

best of all, theres no parts to remove. just get under the car and weld it right where it sits.

Comment

Working...
                        X