Knocking Noise...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knocking Noise...

So lately I've been hearing a knocking coming from my front right (passenger) side wheel whenever I hit a bump.
    With the car on the ground, I grabbed the tire and shook back and forth, but nothing seemed loose.
    I put the car on a jack (jack positioned under the body, not the suspension) , and still, everything feels solid.
    Any ideas?
    Joey Richard Jr.

1991 Ford Festiva L; died but donated all her organs
    1988 Ford Festiva LX; EFI swapped in...actually everything swapped in

Quality is Job 1. Together, We Can Save Lives. Ford.

Most likely you have a CV joint that is close to failing .
    When they start wearing and the boot becomes torn and throws the grease out , or they just wear out , they will knock , maybe more when turning tight .
    ------------------------------------------------
    The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
    Smart Passion white with H-D interior
    HD2500 Duramax Chevy
    Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
    Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
    Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
    Z28 LS1 power 500 +
    90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
    It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

A common test for worn CV joints is to take the car to an empty parking lot and go in slow tight circles each way listening for noise. The joints are not usually replaced by themselves as it's cheaper to buy the complete rebuilt axel assembly.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

are you sure the ball joint is good?

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Honestly no I have no idea. I only seem to get the noise when I'm driving, and that's turning or going straight, it seems to be the same noise either way too.

I don't mean it does this on level ground, if that's the idea I'm giving off. It's when I hit a bump or pothole.
          And when you say that a CV joint may be close to failing, its been doing for a long time, soo....I dunno. I'd like to do something about it.
          Joey Richard Jr.

Comment

Sounds to me to be a strut mount - Have you looked at the rubber in the strut mount (Should be able to see it with the hood open. If that looks good then look at the sway bar bushings - both on the lower control arm and on the body mount.
            I doubt if it is a ball joint (there is usually a lot of wandering over bumps when they get loose)- But check it anyway - Jack up the car and see if the tire moves in and out at the bottom (Easy to check - Should not be more than about a 16th of an inch (0.060) of play)

Comment

Originally posted by joebreck117
              Honestly no I have no idea. I only seem to get the noise when I'm driving, and that's turning or going straight, it seems to be the same noise either way too.

I don't mean it does this on level ground, if that's the idea I'm giving off. It's when I hit a bump or pothole.
              And when you say that a CV joint may be close to failing, its been doing for a long time, soo....I dunno. I'd like to do something about it.
              All of the previous advise is pretty sound...it's really a good place to start.

CV joint can sound bad for years....they can sound bad for a day....or they can sound bad for a year and be trash in a couple of minutes...CV joint failure is very unpredictable....

I would really try to duplicate the sound as previously described before moving onto more diagnostics...

If you still cann't duplicate the noise....I would push down with alot of force on the fender near the wheel like you were testing the shocks...and see if you can then duplicate the noise.
              Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
              The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

K, I'll try all this.
                Just went out to check C.V. boots, and they seem fine.
                Joey Richard Jr.

Comment

I completely agree with Joe, although to me it sounds as if you had a bad strut, if you have alot of bounce, ie the strut is spongy, it may be that it is "bottoming out" when you hit a bump, but guesswork replace till it is fixed is VERY expen$ive.
                  Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                  Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                  "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

scitzz1....the spring may be broken, cracked or getting goofy in the flange....and the shock is in good condition...so ther may not be a bounce problem....very common problem
                    Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                    The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

too true, and I didn't think of that!

That is why I love forums, you get all kinds of ideas!

I had a knock in my minivan, was a bad strut, so it came straight to mind.......

I have to admit, it is harder for me to diagnose without actually seeing the car, I am fairly quick in that situation, ie, I can walk over, push the bumper, look at the spring, and so forth, all in less time than it takes my slow typing fingers to type this post!
                      Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                      Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                      "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Working...
                      X