X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Wierd Problem

cleaning engine bay

so check spark plugs (need changing).

everything fine so start car up, fan doesnt run.

check under hood and pull a wire plug out guessing its the prob

then fan starts running,

i clean the wire and put back on......

fan shuts off.

what the heck man, should i just run it w/o it plugged it

btw the plug thingy looks like half of a regular house plug so yeeah.

im so stumped

thnx tim, nvm thats normal,

but a real prob is that my temp gauge is out so garentee will run fan without hooking up just in case..

i need where the temp guage wire is because it may just need cleaning, if any1 has a pik, i could really use it.

Comment

when that wire is plugged in it is grounded, and the fan will not run... when the car gets hot then the temp sensor that its plugged into breaks the ground and allows the fan to run... the fan is not supposed to run unless the car is running about halfway up the temp guage. so with it plugged in and the car cold, it won't run.
      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

my tempo gauge dont work, and hawaii gets about 80-90 daily sum times so without seems best

i dont know where it is located, do you have a pik of it......

Comment

The fan circuit is wired fail safe through a relay....the wire you removed turned the relay off...thus the fan started...It works the way you described....I wish more cars were wired this way.

There are 2 sensors you should be concened with...they are located between the No.4 spark plug and the t'stat housing...the lower left is the fan switch...upper right is the sensor that dives the gauge.

Don't mess around with either the fan circuit or temp gauge....make sure they are in working order...one overheat and you can trash an engine
          Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
          The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

89 festiva
            4 speed
            manual
            no ac
            carbed

if that helps

Comment

oooo the temp gauge wire is it like plug and play???

Comment

I have my fan wired so that it's constantly running because of the BP under there. Probably doesn't need to be that way, bu for now it works. I should get a switch to wire it so that I can turn it on when I want, OR it runs when it's supposed to.
                Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

Does anyone know the what the resistance (ohm) readings should be for the temp gauge sensor?

Comment

the sensor connector looked all screwed up, cutit off, spliced wire and hooked up . still no catch....................

going drive out 2morrow, hopefully it works.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonTuffGuy
                      I have my fan wired so that it's constantly running because of the BP under there. Probably doesn't need to be that way, bu for now it works. I should get a switch to wire it so that I can turn it on when I want, OR it runs when it's supposed to.
                      so far my BP hasn't over heated and i left my fan the way it came from factory, turns on when it gets hot, but then again it's still only winter

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Working...
                      X