Emissions test :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emissions test :(

Ok so i brought the festy for the etest before i go and rip the engine out... and it failed... NOx emission... not by much though.. limit is 1021 ppm and the car hit 1300 ppm.... i know that its caused from high temperatures in the cumbustion chamber... i did the usual tne up before i took it and everything..

I'm thinkin maybe dirty inectors causeing a lean mixture thus causeing high temps.. everything else went amazing..

I think i will just run some cleaner through it.... this whole emission thing through me off track for the rebuild!!! im running out of time! haha spring is comming...

I was wondering if anyone knew if instead of puting it on the rollers for an etest,,, if a 2 stage idle test would help with NOx emissions because theres no load on the engine.. possibly not working soo hard on the engine... I know they do that to some hondas when thier too low to make it on to the machine...

If that will help then i have no problem making it extremely low for now lol

Any ideas would be great... i tried searching for info on 2 stage idle tests and whaether they help but with now luck....

Thanks,
    Rob

P.S. if i knew how to up load pics id show the progress thats being made...
    in the middle of sandblasting any rust on the floor right now.. its gonna be sick!!
    1990 Festiva
    - 5 spd. swap
    - B6 SOHC swap
    - Custom Interior
    **********Currently Under MAJOR Reconstruction ************

oh by the way im located in ontario canada... if that helps with the etest stuff....
    1990 Festiva
    - 5 spd. swap
    - B6 SOHC swap
    - Custom Interior
    **********Currently Under MAJOR Reconstruction ************

Comment

have you tested your 02 sensor?

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Do they test for more than NOX...I would suspect yes...many trick can be done to lowerNOX but increase the risk of other failures.

You cat could be shot....cuasing some back pressure which result in high heat in the exhaust stream an also not properly react with the exhaust gas.

Old trick we used to do around here when the IM test first started....we would add a gallon of alcohol (methanol) to about 5 gallons of gas.
        Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
        The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

A bad egr valve can also cause high combustion temps. It's purpose is to lower combustion temps to lower NOX emissions.
          1960 willys pickup
          1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
          1989 festiva
          1990 festiva for parts
          1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Unless it's carbed, it doesn't have an EGR valve.

another trick to lower NOx is to retard timing 1 or 2 degrees
            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
            Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

That's right he mentioned injectors. I must be having brain gas again.
              1960 willys pickup
              1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
              1989 festiva
              1990 festiva for parts
              1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Working...
              X