X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where is the oil going?

the GF has a 93 festiva L...
    it eats about a quart of oil a week.
    she just drove by and I checke dthe oil (light NOT ON) and it took TWO quarts to get it back up to normal.

it wasnt hot... ticking.... or smoking.
    it runs beutiful, quiet.. powerful...

it has a leaky valve cover, and there is fresh oil seeping out and down the engine, BUT... I cant find where quarts and quarts of oil are dissapearing to.
    the plugs are CLEAN... no carbon no oil foul.... no oil residue.

where could all this oil be going?
    a quart a week...
    thats a gallon a month.
    the oil stays clean as it doesnt last long enough to get dirty.... :lol:

I watched the tailpipe intently, and other than an odd smell of raw gas (which she is lately complaining about) there is no oil smoke at all.. not a trace.

the oil thats seeping out doesnt really get to the ground.... it sort of just holds a fine film on the engine.... and a light drip, not a quart a week drip for sure.
    is it burning OFF the block?
    or does this engine have an amazingly clean burning apitite for oil?
    (is it a festiva thing??)

I found anotoer one same yr, automatic in a car lot nearby... unknown price, but its rusty.
    it might be a good organ donor investment.

sounds like it is burning it though watch it when u leave it sit for a day have someone start it up and watch it. look around the air cleaner to see if there is oil in the tube. check ur pcv valve. Remember a little leak at idle turns into a bigger leak at higher speeds when ur oil preasure goes up. check and make sure it isn't at ur drain plug.

Comment

The light is for oil pressure, not level.

Sounds like you're burning most of it and the rest drips out while driving.

Personally, I'd try www.auto-rx.com to see if you can reduce the amount burning. It will clean up your piston ring packs to reduce the amount of blow-by and all kinds of other good things.

I'd also change the PCV valve.
      www.dantheoilman.com
      AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
      Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
      Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

ya but if it is down 2 quarts that light should b on.... the engine only holds like 3.5 or something like that.....

Comment

thats what I was thinking.... it only takes 3.6 o a change so down 2 is a little on the dangerous side.

I'm putting in a tube type pressure gauge tonight. I usually do that to all cars I buy right off...
          I knew I shoulda...
          oh well.

Comment

yeah mine has developed a helacious appetite for oil lately, but no sign as to where it is going. my engine compartment and block are spotless, nothing on the ground where i park, no smoke at all. i'm stumped.
            Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
            1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
            1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
            2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

I know where it is going..... :shock:

Comment

shhhhhh..... JIM IS STEALING IT LOL by no smoke do u mean at first startup, running with no load, with load, revving?? like i said little leaks turn into big leaks with preasure....

Comment

:twisted:
                  Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                  Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

kinda like the underpants gnomes...
                    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

For everyone with high consumption try www.auto-rx.com

It does work! If you feel you didn't get your money's worth out of it he will refund your money.

Give it a chance. Do two treatments. That's a 6500 mile commitment to cleaning.
                      www.dantheoilman.com
                      AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
                      Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
                      Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

told ya he is like an evil troll's gremlin! and ya never know if u hit him in the rear he might blow up as well... sorry bad joke

Comment

*hits darkdan over the head with the auto-rx link LOL sorry I just have a little rage left over... u need to put that in ur sig dan save u from typing it LOL btw u get discounts with them dan?

Comment

as I was installing the new pressure gauge line I think I found where it is going...
                            its leaking out the valve cover as I said...
                            a LOT is following a thin trail down a hose, dripping off the oil pan drain plug AND....
                            another thin flow is somehow hitting the firewall and then seeping down to the unibody rail (under the floor pan) and that rail is full of oil, and its spread out in a thin line back to the rear axle almost.

pretty freaky.

Im not really seeing a quart a weeek there but it is a lot....

but the oils topped off, the gauge reads 42psi at idle and @50 or so while driving along so by the numbers the pressure is fine.

in my old nissan truck I had a similar slow leak, and I could tell by the way the pressure dropped just a wee but from normal it needed a quart, +/- .
                            she will have to learn to check the oil twice a week and watch the gauge.

another week and the would have found it in the morning wheels up and dead.

Comment

i'd just fix the valve cover gasket ultra black permatex and a new gasket fixed mine and mine was leaking like a siv

Comment

Working...
                              X