IDLE PROBLEMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IDLE PROBLEMS

JUST BOUGHT A 89 FESTIVA L CARBUERATED RAN AND DROVE GREAT FOR THREE DAYS LEFT WORK AND CAME TO FIRST STOP LIGHT IDLE WAS VERY HIGH KEPT DRIVING NEXT LIGHT IDLE HIGHER AND MISSING A LITTLE PULLED OVER AND SHUT OFF CKECKED CARB EVERYTHING WAS FINE STARTED BACK UP SEEN ALITTLE SMOKE COMING FROM UNDER ENGINE LOOKED UNDER CAR CAT WAS ON FIRE PUT FIRE OUT TOWED CAR HOME STARTED IT NEXT DAY AFTER TAKING CAT OFF SMOKING LIKE A CHIMNEY STILL VERY HIGH IDLE TIMING IS GOOD STUMPED ANY IDEAS THANKS BRIAN

Brian, welcome to the site!

What color smoke? White?

Where is the smoke coming from? Out the exhaust?

If the smoke is pure white....not black, gray or blue-ish...it's burning water/coolant.

Best thing to do....make sure the coolant and oil are topped off....let it idle for a wihile, a couple cycles of the cooling fan, and see if the smoke get worst, stays the same, or goes away.

(easy on the caps...sure it's easier to read...thou some may take it offensively)
    Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
    The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Sounds like something is leaking on the catalytic converter, and that would be what caught on fire. I never heard of a cat catching on fire otherwise(well, a lil gas on a cat will do it, but the screams are a lil loud :evil

Anyhoo, have you checked for leaking cables, hoses, and such?
      Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
      Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
      "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

blue smoke any idea why the idle is so high thanks for ansering back

Comment

Blue smoke.....you're burning oil...that's not good. Most likely contributed to the CAT fire.

You'll need to to a compression check and Vacuum test to determine if the leak is in the valves train, the rings or somewhere else.

EASTONX75...where do you live? Fill out you profile...avialable at the top of the page.
          Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
          The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

compression is good havent done a vac check the idle screw on the carb isnt touching the lobe but u cant grab the throttle arm and move it u can throttle up but not down i ordered a haynes repair manuel nobody here has parts stocked for these cars junk yards either they said they crush them as soon as they come in weird how everything was fine and all of a sudden high idle and all other problems thanks again

Comment

is the red wire going to the choke still hooked up?it's possible it has come loose from the alternator. i know on my 1988, if it is not hooked up mine will idle very high, around 1500 rpm's. just something you may want to check.
              1960 willys pickup
              1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
              1989 festiva
              1990 festiva for parts
              1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Your secondaries (sp) throttle plate may be stuck open causing it to idle high, mine sometimes stick if i floor it alot, so i shoot some carb spray down carb throat and open/close the throttle plate (lower part of carb) with long screwdriver (with engine off). has done this twice on me, check your throttle cable also and make sure its not binding ....
                previous cars to fix up;
                86 300ZX
                85 RX7 GSL
                88 Corolla FX
                89 Festiva LX 2bbl 5 speed

Comment

Working...
                X