something "fell off" *update page 2*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• something "fell off" *update page 2*

i'm buying an 88 festiva, and about a month ago, when it was super cold here, the car started having problems. the current owner was driving and he says "something fell off, but it was to cold to stop. lucky i didn't cause it wouldn't start when i got where i was going" it now runs but over heats very quickly. any ideas what might have "fallen off" or why it heating up. i get he car thursday 3-13, so i'l be able to get a better look at it and maybe some pics. i really want to get this one running and have a backuptiva.

derick

Re: something "fell off"

Originally posted by cubstiva1
    any ideas what might have "fallen off" or why it heating up.
    i'm just shooting in the dark here, but did the fan fall out?

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

lol, i don't think so

Comment

maybe the fan belt or pulley for the fan belt?
        1960 willys pickup
        1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
        1989 festiva
        1990 festiva for parts
        1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

freeze plug? drain plug on radiator? or does it have antifreeze still in it?
          89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
          92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
          New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

Comment

Originally posted by worfdog
            maybe the fan belt or pulley for the fan belt?
            Mine has electric fan, don't all the festies? I mean, it is a front wheel drive
            Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
            Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
            "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

the fan runs, and I'm pretty sure there's coolant in it because it was boiling into the overflow tank. This was last week when he drove it to work. He's tired of it and just ready to be done with it.

Comment

Everytime I have had water boiling in the overflow, it has been the headgasket Not saying that is definitely what is wrong, mind you, just what has happened to me!

Comment

Boiling over means something is plugged up....at least to me it would. Head hasket blown would let the fluid leak out onto the engine and there would be steam , not fill into the overflow.
                  "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                  89L Silver EFI auto
                  91GL Green Auto DD
                  There ain't no rest for the wicked
                  until we close our eyes for good.
                  I will sleep when I die!
                  I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

so flush the radiator?

Comment

That would be a start...plus maybe the thermostat is sticking shut.
                      Or the belt came off the water pump.......
                      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                      89L Silver EFI auto
                      91GL Green Auto DD
                      There ain't no rest for the wicked
                      until we close our eyes for good.
                      I will sleep when I die!
                      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt
                        Boiling over means something is plugged up....at least to me it would. Head hasket blown would let the fluid leak out onto the engine and there would be steam , not fill into the overflow.
                        I hate to disagree, but, if the head gasket goes out between the cylinders, pressure from the cylinders that normally escape from the exhaust often esape into the coollant passages, causing the system to overpressurize, and overheat, thus causing bubbling and boiling in the overflow. That is just one symptom. The only time my baby car has had bubbling overflow, it has been from a faulty head gasket, caused by a warped head, caused by overheating. 4 dang times! My fault each time, as well

In my own personal experience, I have never seen a faulty head gasket leak from the mating surface between the block and the cylinder head, and boy, do I get a lot of blown head gaskets! Common symptoms of a faulty head gasket are;oil in the water, water in the oil, steam from the exhaust, as well as water dripping from the exhaust,overheating, and bubbling coolant overflow. The best way to be sure of the diagnosis is a compression test, IMO. Oftentimes, pulling the plugs and checking their condition will be a dead giveaway as well.

A quick way to check for blockages in the coolant system is to run the car up to operating temp, then feel all the hoses, including heater hoses, and see if they are all hot (or just warm) to touch. If they are all warm, then chances are good there is no severe blockage. If the car passes this test, and does not show other head gasket symptoms, backflushing the system, and changing the thermostat are good ideas. Checking the water flow with the cap off of the radiator can help diagnose the thermostat, and a therm not opening can be the blockage. I have seen blockages in hoses that block a few inches of hose. This usually happens in an undermaintained cooling system.

Comment

thanks Geneva, can't wait to get started. it will be great to have two festies in the driveway. i'm still working on my wife, i don't think she quite sold on the whole idea.

Comment

I think we need some more clarity.....
                            First coolant should never boil! Flowing into the over flow does not mean it's boiling. Any normal car...when normally heated up...will experience expamsion of the coolant and flow into the overflow. This is required because all heated fluids expand and will cause an increase in pressure and before something blows the radiator cap relieves pressure by dumping fluid into the overflow tank. This is why it is so critical to routinely change the radiato cap which controls coolant system pressure.

What's really important to know....how fast doe the engine get to the over heat condition? Sspecifically at idle and what's the ambient temp at this time.

Never drive an overheated car............................................... ...........................................period

Change the collant........................................... .................................................. ...............period

Buy a hydrometer....they hang in the store where they sell coolant...they measure the freezing and boiling point of the coolant....I bought mine 25 yrs ago for maybe $2 or $3.
                            Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                            The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

If something "fell off" the car and it overheats. I would check the belt and pulley's. Packrat had the pulley fall off his car before.
                              Brian
                              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                              :fish:

Comment

Working...
                              X