cant go past 85 mph!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cant go past 85 mph!

I have 1992 festiva and have done some engine modifications, but still my cars speedometer reads to 85 and the needle will only go to that, even when im in 4th gear going 85, i will shift into 5th and it still wont go faster like theres a restiction for only 85mph. any ideas?

Yeah....out of hp.
    www.dantheoilman.com
    AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
    Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
    Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Festivas are unstable enough at high speed that it can be difficult to tell how fast you're going without the speedometer. I've only had mine up to 80 and that was plenty fast enough for me.

Short wheelbase and high speed don't mix.
      OX SMASH!!

Comment

Originally posted by oxbrain
        Short wheelbase and high speed don't mix.
        I've had mine over 5000 rpm in 5th with my BP. No idea how fast I was going. I regulary go 85+ with my 89 carbed b3 4 speed.

You should easily be able to go over 85. What kind of mods did you do to the engine? Did you mess something up with the upgrades?

Are the wheels stock? If they are much taller the speedo will read slower than your are actually going.

matt

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
        BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
        BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
        New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

My car feels very stable at 100mph... but I have different tires and suspension.

My speedo goes up to 200km/h... I've had it up to 195km/h on the highway once.
          * Retired Festiva-er*
          1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!
          B6T'ing since May 2002...

Disclaimer: I'm a dick, deal with it.

Comment

I'm not saying that it's not possible to go over 85 in a festiva. What I'm saying is that it's not really safe. The stock tires are only rated for 90 if I remember correctly, atleast the ones that I have are. The short wheelbase becomes unstable. Since the festiva is nearly as wide as it is long it won't get any areodynamic help to keep it straight. With stock suspension the chances of rolling are very high. It just plain isn't safe.

And with how loud and unstable the car is at higher speed it would be difficult to tell the difference between 85 and 95 without a tach or better speedometer.
            OX SMASH!!

Comment

gone

"Superduder may or may not be a racist ..." -Pu241

WoW it's just orwelltastic here isn't it?

Comment

my tires are balanced, it's not that there is a wobble, the car just doesn't feel planted at that speed. It feels mushy, like its getting lift. Hit the wake off a semi at 80 and it moves you around a bit.
                OX SMASH!!

Comment

suggestion

it won't do much, try removing the back seat.

Clean out your engine parts again.

I remember when I had a B3, I could get it pass 85, well into 90 and 95. But I took care of it cleaning internal parts just for the hell of it.

When I first got it, it wouldn't go over 85... when I did some basic maintenance work (changing coolant, check/replace spark plugs) it was running better and I got over 85.

You said you got engine work done, check over your work again?

Always add one of those tornado thingys! HAHAHA~ :lol:

Comment

sad speeds dude

i go 140km/h(85mph) every day in my festy, its a 93 l, completley stock. it handles fine fuck, i might even go faster sometimes and i feel safe cept when my shitty tires have no tread

Comment

Have any blow-by? Could be low on compression in a few cylinders. Wouldn't take much in this small of a engine.
                      91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

I've exceeded 100 many times in my stock Festy. I've even got 1 degree of negative camber, so it's pretty touchy at all speeds. While the car feels tippy, as long as you keep a light touch on the wheel, it's not dangerous.

That said, unless you have speedo that reads above 85, you'll never see the speedo climb beyond 85, because that's as high as the needle goes...

I will say that 105 in the Festy is as much of a rush as 140 is in the Impala... Nothing like 135 on the bike though.
                        1990 LX Mostly Stock

1996 Impala SS, Not Stock

Comment

i would try a simple tune up plugs wires i left 1 of my friends the other day he was running 105 mph in a grand am i was running away from him might i add mine sits 3 inches off the ground with cut springs handles and feels extremely stable the whole time from 0 to 100 its smooth and stable!

but as the speedo cant tell u i have a 100 mph mark on the bottom of my speedo that i put there because i just like to know when i hit triple digits put the needle pushes down to the bottom of the cluster and just hold there lol!

Comment

springs

hey fastfester how much of the coils did you cut

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2304767

Comment

no offical number, but I could bury the needle on my old 93Fes, and it'ld take a good right while before it started coming down. handling was fine other mild wheel balance probs from mud in the wells, on trips to the NW of Michigan. All stock.
                              "Nothing's gonna grieve us
                              When we drive Festivas
                              I could go a hundred miles an hour
                              Long as I got the Almighty Power
                              With my plastic Jesus
                              Riding on the dashboard of my car"

Comment

Working...
                              X