Distributor Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributor Problems

Hey guys PLEASE help i miss my Festiva. I have a 88 Festiva LX 5 speed. It was running great, only has 80,000 original miles on it, untill one day, boom nothing. It was the day before thanksgiving and i was running REALLY REALLY low on fuel, i was sputtering trying to get to a gas station, when the car just completely shut off, i figured it had run out of gas so i pulled in to a parking lot, pored what little gas i had into the carb and it started right up. I got gas and drove off but while i was driving, the car kept dieing, not sputtering like it was out of gas, but just cruising down the road then turn off almost like i had turn the key off, but then if i would start it, it would start back up. I figured i had got some crap in the lines from the bottom of the tank, or just air bubbles or something and it would work its way out. So the next night, thanksgiving, i was driving over to family's when boom it happened again, only this time it wouldn't start back up. Again i poured a little gas in the carb, but still wouldn't fire up. At that point i figured it wasn't getting spark. So i got it towed home and it just sat. Finally i got a chance to check it yesterday. I had just replaced the coil, cap, rotor, wires, and plugs just over a year ago, as preventative maintenance, so i was surprised to see when i pulled the rotor off that it was all burnt up. I tested to see if was getting power from the coil, yes i was, and if i was getting power from the coil wire, yes i was, but no spark to the plugs. i figure oh its just the rotor. I run down the Autozone and pick up a rotor, ($9.99, for some reason they didn't have a cap and rotor set or i would have picked up the cap too) when back home popped it in, and tried to fire it up, still nothing. Im thinking crap what the heck. i figure there must be something wrong with the cap too so i go back to Autozone and pick up a cap ($12.99) and some wires ($17.99) just in case. Come back, throw on the cap, still nothing. Im starting to get mad, i replace the wires, still nothing. Im getting pissed off now cause im just throwing money at it. I come inside get online and read up a little on it, find out it could be the ignition module. I call up Autozone, of course they don't have it, but they can order it for me for only $259!! what the heck i can get a whole distributor from them for only $150. I pulled the distributor out, check the module, nothing looks burt or broken wires, i clean the whole distributor really good put it back together and try to start it back up, still nothing. Please help i want to get the car running its a great car, is there some way to check to see if the module is indeed messed up, and if it is messed up is there some way to rebuild or an easy repair on it. OR, maybe is there a fuse some where that could have gone out? i check all the ones in the driver compartment and they are all good!

(P.S. on a side note, i have 3500 watts worth of stereo equipment in the car including 2500 just for the sub's. could i maybe shorted something out if i was listening to the music really loud, like overloaded something in the engine?)
    (GONE)88 Festiva LX 5 Speed, Factory A/C, Factory Tow Hitch, Tach.
    95k Original miles
    New: Tires, Axels, Front Wheel Bearings, Fuel Pump, Valve Cover Gasket, Carb Rebuild, Timing Set, Belts, Shoes, Distributor, CapRotor, Wires, Plugs, Coil, Grant 11" Steering Wheel, 3700 Watt Stereo System-6 1/2 Infinity speakers, Infinity tweeters, Almani 12" subs

i had a very simaliar problem with mine not to long ago. would run then would not run.did ever thing you did.turned out it was my module bad. bought one off e-bay put it in and all is well now. there is one on e-bay now from the same place i got mine, buy it now price 59.95 brand new and took about three days to get here.that is a heck of a lot cheaper. not saying that is what is wrong with yours , but i did all you did to fix yous and it turned out my module was bad .you can take yours out and have it tested to make sure it's bad.
    1960 willys pickup
    1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
    1989 festiva
    1990 festiva for parts
    1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

cool well i took a chance, i had to have it fixed by tonight cause i need to drive it to work tomorrow, so i couldn't wait for an ebay part, there is a carquest warehouse down the street from me, they had the module for $220, or the whole distributor for $200, i got the distributor, threw it in, and it started up the first time, and its running better then ever. I bet that thing has been going out for a while. Now all i need to do is replace the axels, couple tires, and the steering wheel and it will be a perfect running car. Also have some oil seepage from some gaskets and seals i guess i can replace those too im so excited thanks worfdog
      95k Original miles
      New: Tires, Axels, Front Wheel Bearings, Fuel Pump, Valve Cover Gasket, Carb Rebuild, Timing Set, Belts, Shoes, Distributor, CapRotor, Wires, Plugs, Coil, Grant 11" Steering Wheel, 3700 Watt Stereo System-6 1/2 Infinity speakers, Infinity tweeters, Almani 12" subs

Comment

Which gaskets? Also what size are your wheels?

Comment

haha look at that crazy little car man, nice job man sweet car!
          Proud owner of 92L, 350KM, Home made muffler, sounds like a truck! 16 years without replacement of anything but filters! 5spd EFI, Anyone else's shifter look like its from a quarter-ton?

Comment

if you plan on keeping the car,you may want to get a spare module. i bought that one to fix my car and for that price, a week later bought another for a spare. i drive my car out west each year and don't want to have one go out and have to spend that much while on a trip.
            1960 willys pickup
            1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
            1989 festiva
            1990 festiva for parts
            1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Pick up some spare ones at the JY...couldn't be that much.
              "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
              89L Silver EFI auto
              91GL Green Auto DD
              There ain't no rest for the wicked
              until we close our eyes for good.
              I will sleep when I die!
              I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

just so u know thats pic in my signature is not of my car, but mine looks just like it except i think that is a 90's and mine is a 88, different grill. Gaskets are just valve cover and axle seals, and i have 12's on right now with 4 brand new tires, but i have some 13's off a 85 RX7 that could go on, but i want to keep it mostly original. I been looking in the junk yards around here and surprisingly there are no festiva's so junk yard parts are hard to come buy for me. i had a hell of a time finding 12's for the car, i had to pull a lot of strings, but i am picky and wanted a matching set. does anybody know how much u can tow. i want to get a little tent trailer for a motorcycle and travel, but if i can go bigger that would be nice too
                95k Original miles

Comment

Did you bed the module in dielectric heat transfer paste? A service station replaced mine without bedding it and it didn't last. I did some research ( look here www.ncf.ca/~ag384/Cars.htm ) before replacing it. A couple of important things to know 1) you can get the modules tested for free at some auto parts stores, 2) they are made by Mitsibushi in Japan and come with a 5 year/50,000 km replacement warranty.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                  X