Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about troublesome idle on carbed 89 Festy

Hi Everyone,

I've been putting the black festy back together the past couple days with new gaskets (base of carb and intake) along with the EFE heater FB71 sent me. It runs "better" now, but still has a pesky idle issue I so far haven't been able to fix. One problem might be I can't fully get to the nut on the back pass. side of the carb (while standing in front of the car) because of the space and angle it's at. I even made my own 12 mil. wrench by breaking one in half (that got it tighter, but not as tight as the others) I also bought a swivel, which helped a bit more, but still didn't get it tight enough to make me fill there isn't some air slipping through. I checked and double checked all vacuum lines to make sure their connected to the right ports. This festy doesn't have a tach, but judging by ear, it vasilates from 800rpms to 1300rpms while idling warm. It also doesn't like to idle when cold.

I'm sure there's a whole slew of possible issues going on here. Personally for me, once it's warm, it runs good enough for me. I'm getting to dislike the carbed festys, preferring the ease and trouble free EFI I came took for granted until having a carbed model to compare it to. This festiva will eventually be listed on eBay, and would fair much better if it idled smoother.

Not looking for miracles, any thoughts will help. I have an 88-89 factory service manual coming to me soon (found right here on the site)

thanks,
    Brenton
    Because....45 MPG.

Hey, a RUSH fan!!!

Sorry about your idle problem, wish I could help, but I haven't worked on the carbed festy's, and it sounds like you are on the right track anyway.....

Just had to spout out that Rush Rulezzzzzz
    Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
    Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
    "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

i completely agree with your evaluation of the carburetors on these cars. both of my cars occasionally have this problem, but i havent been able to fix it yet. although one time i did clean out the dist cap and it helped a lot for some reason. oxygen sensor possible too i guess... but i dont know. sorry, good luck with it.
      89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
      http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
      92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
      New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

Comment

Rush DOES rule! I've been a life long fan. Looking forward to reading Peart's book "Roadshow" sitting on my shelf. He's a pretty darn good writer...

"...I will choose freewill."

Brenton...
        Because....45 MPG.

Comment

um i had some work on 88 done when replaced my head gasket i had sorta the same problem they replaced my choke and a map barro sensor on the firewall ? maybe this could be the same problem your having anyways hoe this was use full to you

Comment

" na na na, na na na naah, you have entered the twilight zone"

Originally posted by masterpxhfhx1
            um i had some work on 88 done when replaced my head gasket i had sorta the same problem they replaced my choke and a map barro sensor on the firewall ? maybe this could be the same problem your having anyways hoe this was use full to you
            You have an 88 Festy, do you..........

Comment

Have you tried misting the area where you suspect there is an air intake leak?
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Hey Brenton!
                Have you read the codes for the car yet? I can send you a pic of any of the diagnostics out of the shop manual, or the Training Guide if you need them until you get yours. Try the "spray around the base" to see if it is sucking air too. Email if I can help, and "Arf" to Emma!
                Michael
                Have owned 9 so far
                White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
                Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
                Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
                Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
                Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt
                  Have you tried misting the area where you suspect there is an air intake leak?
                  If you use carb cleaner, and it is sucking air, it will try to kill the engine when you spray on the leak

Comment

Working...
                  X