Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BP won't start

1993 festiva, BP, f-series tranny

the other day i drove it home and parked it in the driveway, the next day i got in it and it cranked over but didn't fire, today i got checking it out, it has spark, no fuel pressure

so i go back to the fuel pump, first tests show power at the pump, causing me to beleive a faulty fuel pump, so i replaced it with a known good pump, put everything back together, still doesn't fire

i pulled the fuel line off the sending unit, and no fuel comes out whether the key is on or off

so i know my fuel pump is not turning on, i'm sure i have a good pump installed

so my question is, there are 4 wires going into the sending unit:

red - there is power that turns on/off with the key, then fades out as if to shut the pump off when sufficient pressure is there

yellow

black w/ white stripe

black

what does each wire do?

this has really got me stumped since it drove fine to where it sits now

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

are you sure the fuel pump isn't turning on? Wasn't there someone who had the inside of the fuel line collapse and it was blocking fuel, but you couldn't tell from the outside? Just a thought.

Comment

no gas?
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2065064/1
      Paulbarrera12.com
      Festiva Visualizer Project

Comment

Did you take a look at the fuel shut off switch ?

BPT, G5M-R, BP26 Exintake swap + Fidanza cam gear, NSRT4 FMIC + 2.5" piping, HKS SSQV BOV, Exedy clutch, 3" downpipe + 2" all the way back, Aspire brake swap, KYB GR-2 & FMS coil spring , FMS EURO body kit + Carbon fiber hood, Falcon RTX 15X6½ + Toyo proxes T1R 195/45R15

Comment

I second the fuel shut off switch. I was drilling out my rear seat brackets and kicked the switch.
          Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

Originally posted by SimonTuffGuy
            I was drilling out my rear seat brackets and kicked the switch.
            me too

BPT, G5M-R, BP26 Exintake swap + Fidanza cam gear, NSRT4 FMIC + 2.5" piping, HKS SSQV BOV, Exedy clutch, 3" downpipe + 2" all the way back, Aspire brake swap, KYB GR-2 & FMS coil spring , FMS EURO body kit + Carbon fiber hood, Falcon RTX 15X6½ + Toyo proxes T1R 195/45R15

Comment

Those wire colors do not match the '92 factory manual.

The fade out wire is most likely yhe instrument gauge fuel sending unit wire.

Best is to locate the fuel pump test connector in the engine compartment and jump it out...that's what it is there for.
              It is a two pin conductor near the STI (check engine) connector. Has a 'green w/red tr' and 'black' wire. Jump the two of them together.
              This will force the fuel pump relay on which will force the pump on.
              When you you install the jumper, you will here the relay click on and the pump motor run. The Key must be in the run position.
              This is to verify that the pump and 'part of the relay' are working.
              If you can push fuel up to the rail like this try to start the engine.
              If it runs...it not the pump...it could be the relay or the start only wire to the relay.
              Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
              The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

i checked the fuel shut off shift, i even by-passed it thinking maybe a faulty switch, still nothin

i'm sure the lines/filter are good since i took the line off at the pump trying to get gas to spray the tank, and again, nothin

jglutz - now that you mention the relay, it's a good possibility, where is the relay located?

the other test i wanted to do was to run a wire directly from the battery to the pump to "double check" that the pump good

which wires at the pump should i run power to?

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

BE CAREFUL OF SPARK
                  Those extra wires you asked about prevent/reduce the incidence of spark.
                  If you want to run direct battery power to the pump. Do it away from the gas tank.

The fuel pump relay is behind the front left speaker.

Hope this helps
                  Joe Lutz

Comment

it's a good thing my dad is an electrician and can understand that :lol:

i'm sure it'll help, thank you

Comment

THANK YOU JGLUTZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the problem was the relay, there was a good amount of carbon build up on the contacts, cleaned them up plugged it in and it fired right up

thanks for all replies

Comment

:thumbright:
                        Joe Lutz

Comment

Good !!!

Comment

Way to go Joe!!!!!!
                            Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                            Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                            "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Working...
                            X