Automatic transmission reliability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic transmission reliability?

I have searched with no results so here goes. Are the Auto trannys in the Festivas pretty bulletproof? I am getting a 1990 with 250k on it that was gently used by a Lady. Iwas wondering if it will have much life left in it? Are the transmissions dificult to rebuild? Thanks in advance. Don Jackson

Those slush boxes will last forever. My car has 254k on it. Ihave put 75k on the car since I bought it. The trans. still runs strong. Don't know if it was ever rebuilt. Any trans. you get from a JY should be good if you ever have to replace it. I would change the fluid.

David

Comment

you can never be too sure, there are too many variables, little things like climate, roads, transmission fluid, all of it can make a difference. But like all things, if you take care of it, it will take care of you. if she was actually gentle with it should last a good long time, assuming that you are going to be as kind with it. i think estimated transmission life is 200kms, and that is when it is recomended to be changed. My 5 speed lasted all 350kms, and did not have the nicest driver in the end.
      transmissions aren't so much difficult to rebuild as frustrating, it takes patience, and can take a long time. i don't know about automatics though, i think they are too complex.
      but there are people who know more than i on here, maybe they can tell you more, i hope i helped you atleast a bit.
      Sean
      Proud owner of 92L, 350KM, Home made muffler, sounds like a truck! 16 years without replacement of anything but filters! 5spd EFI, Anyone else's shifter look like its from a quarter-ton?

Comment

There's an '89 Automatic in my town with over 260k on it. Don't know if it has ever been rebuilt though. I don't see them being overly complex. I believe they were built by AISIN, and have 3 speeds, so I'd assume they just have a single planetary gearset. I've never had one apart, just guessing, but if you have a background in automatic transmissions, I don't see it being a difficult rebuild.
        Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
        Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
        White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
        White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
        Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
        Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
        Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
        White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

correct, single simple planetary gearset. Very easy to rebuild.
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

I beat the snot out my auto tranny and have no trouble with over 220 K on it.
            Brian
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
            :fish:

Comment

Originally posted by IL4Festiva
              you can never be too sure, there are too many variables, little things like climate, roads, transmission fluid, all of it can make a difference. But like all things, if you take care of it, it will take care of you. if she was actually gentle with it should last a good long time, assuming that you are going to be as kind with it. i think estimated transmission life is 200kms, and that is when it is recomended to be changed. My 5 speed lasted all 350kms, and did not have the nicest driver in the end.
              transmissions aren't so much difficult to rebuild as frustrating, it takes patience, and can take a long time. i don't know about automatics though, i think they are too complex.
              but there are people who know more than i on here, maybe they can tell you more, i hope i helped you atleast a bit.
              Sean
              UMMMMMM....why would waste this whole long post that asks about auto tranny's but then state you know nothing about auto tranny's?
              "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
              89L Silver EFI auto
              91GL Green Auto DD
              There ain't no rest for the wicked
              until we close our eyes for good.
              I will sleep when I die!
              I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I've got almost 220K on my ATX now and the past 22K or so was on my B6 swap, when I changed the fluid and filter. Still going strong and I'm pretty sure this was the original ATX.

Karl
                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

speaking of reliability, does hp affect it? If i put a high hp engine in a festy with an automatic, will it take the power and still be reliable? and on a related subject, how much hp can an auto trans festy take?
                  If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
                  Mark S.

Comment

The stock auto tranny can handle quite alot more HP then the 4 or 5 speeds can. Even with a higher HP engine. I am putting one behind my B6T.
                    Brian
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                    :fish:

Comment

i have two automatics one is still running good and the other is starting to make a grinding sound and keeps droping in nuetral.

Comment

Working...
                      X