Alternator questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator questions.

I went to a JY today to pick up a used alternator and the one they had wasn't the same as the one on my car. What years were the alternators different? This one had a smaller pulley and three plugs instead of two.

Also, whats the difference between a v-belt and serpentine and how do I tell which I have?
    OX SMASH!!

not sure bout the alternators. im running an alternator that doesnt fit my brackets at all...i bought it that way and it charges so oh well.

as far as the belts...a serpentine belt system means it has only one belt to drive the alternator, ac pump, power stearing, fan or whatever is on it. it usualy is a flat belt with 4 or 5 grooves.
    a V belt is a belt that is shaped to fit into pullys that look like a V.
    90 L FI..second B3
    90 L Parts car
    Jay

Comment

Well, this one would have bolted right in, it would have been underdriven because of the smaller radius pulley. I just would have had to do some serious wiring to get it to hook up to my wiring harness.
      OX SMASH!!

Comment

it would be overdriven. smaller radius meens smaller circumfrance. less belt to make one revolution. if the belt is moving the same speed...the smaller pully will turn faster in its center. your alternator would turn faster not slower. shouldnt do any harm tho. have fun with the wire!
        90 L FI..second B3
        90 L Parts car
        Jay

Comment

carbed alts were different. The 3-wire was probably from a carbed car (3rd wire is the choke heater wire).

I THINK the carbed alts were externally regulated, and the FI alts were internally regulated. Better get confirmation on that before you use it, though.
          jeff

Comment

I didn't buy it. They wanted $45 for it and I didn't want to spend that on something that may or may not work.

I'm trying to fix my old one by pulling it apart and re-soldering the connector, if that fails then I'll get a reman.

and you're right, smaller drive/bigger driven = less speed.
            OX SMASH!!

Comment

so in calling around I keep getting asked if my car has a mitsubishi system. What is the difference and how would I tell?
              OX SMASH!!

Comment

Working...
              X