Timing Mark Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Mark Question

Me and SIBladerunner are getting ready to replace the timing belt on his '91 Festiva, but we are somewhat confused by the timing pointers on his engine.

There is a "T" on the big pointer, no doubt signifying top dead center, but what is the purpose of the smaller pointer at the rear? We are trying to figure out what (if anything) this is supposed to line up with.

Sorry about the picture quality. Camera phone FTL.
    Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
    Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
    White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
    White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
    Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
    Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
    Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
    White '15 Ford Transit Connect

For my 92L stock EFI.
    Ignore the gradient (ruler) indicator. Use the pointer indicator, top of your picture, But do not use the flywheel notch you have alligned, use the one below it, per your picture.
    Run and warm up the engine...I use one cooling fan cycle.
    Install the STI jumper to ground. This puts the computer in 'don't do to much mode'
    Connect a tach, adjust the idle mixture to 700RPM-MTX or 850RPM-ATX
    With the timing light (if you have a good one, turn the advance angle knob to zero) turn the distributor until the timing notch (not the one in your pict) alligns with the pointer.
    Tighten the dist. bolts and remove the jumper. (this stores a new value for the offset between the CPS and ignition signal, base timing)
    My festy has a decal on the hood describing all of this.
    Have fun!!!!! Great job with the white marks!!!!!
    Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
    The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Yeah, the hood on this car is from an '88-'89, so it has a vacuum diagram for the carburettor that this car doesn't have and nothing else in the way of decals. We were more concerned with the proper valve timing. Is there another set of marks once we get the crank pulley off? If not, what marks should I use to index the crankshaft once I start doing the timing belt. The valve timing is a tooth off on the car now.

Festivas past:

Current Fleet:
      Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"

Comment

Hope I'm not to late...The only other marks that exist are the assembly timing marks.

Looking for some help here...anyone, please chime in.

If every thing is set right....the dist should be in the middle of the adjustment range. If the timing is off by just one tooth...the dist will have to be turned all the way in the opposite direction for the engine to run. At least this is the case for my'92...I cann't see why yours' would be a any different.
        Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
        The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

when you remove the v-pulley on the crank there is another mark on the crank timing sprocket. Its a small arrow, and points to a small arrow in the oil pump housing. align these to get TDC. where you have the engine at right now is TDC, the second mark would be 10* BTDC.

since it looks like you haven't changed the belt yet, leave the adjustment where its at, remove the Vpulley, and look for the marks on the timing sprocket. If they are aligned, then you know you have it at TDC in this pic (which i'm pretty sure you do). When you re-assemble just make sure the cam marks are in place and that the timing marks are in place. re-assemble, warm it up, jump the STI, and check the ignition timing by watching for the second (lower) mark in the pic to be pointed at the pointer.

hope that helps a bit.
          ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
          91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
          1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
          2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Originally posted by jglutz
            Hope I'm not to late...The only other marks that exist are the assembly timing marks.

Looking for some help here...anyone, please chime in.

If every thing is set right....the dist should be in the middle of the adjustment range. If the timing is off by just one tooth...the dist will have to be turned all the way in the opposite direction for the engine to run. At least this is the case for my'92...I cann't see why yours' would be a any different.
            The distributor was adjusted all the way to one end. The timing is off by a tooth or so, and the belt appears to be stretched.

Festivas past:

Current Fleet:

Comment

Replace the belt. When you do, take the crankshaft pulley off. Line the woodruff key staright up at 12 oclock, I think there is a mark as well. The camshaft sprocket has 2 marks that line up on the head, one should be at 12 oclock, and the other lines up with a tab on the head at 3 oclock. Simple as that. On both the b3's I have had in my car, from the disty being in the middle of adjustment, I can, when facing the disty from the drivers side, twist it to the left maybe an 1/4 inch? and be pretty much running dead on. I got this down pat now, but use the proper steps as described above to set the timing....
              Tip, line up the marks, tighten tensioner, rotate crank 2 full turns, and line up marks again. If they still line up, button her up, your done except for the timing adjustment at the disty!
              Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
              Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
              "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

We took care of all that, now its just a matter of gettin the fuel delivery problem taken care of
                "If you're not first you're last!" -Ricky Bobby

-91L "Oliver" Now B6DE swapped with an ATX Capri ECU on a MTX!!!!
                The little Festy that could...and did!
                (Gone on to a new life)
                -90 Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer

Comment

ahhhhh ok, my bad !
                  Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                  Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                  "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Working...
                  X