Wheel Bearings? How?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Bearings? How?

My manual doesn't necessarily explain how to swap out the wheel bearings on my festiva. I want to check them. But I cant seem to figure out how to get the front disks off in order to look at the bearings. Any suggestions?

I pulled the front right tire, looked at the huge spindle bolt and said "oh crap". Somebody had torqued the bolt on way too hard. So I pulled it off along with the washer and the brake caliper, but the disk itself wouldn't budge. So I employ a puller to see if maybe it's jammed a little. The only thing that happens when I torque the puller (ever so gentley) is the end of the spindle recedes. The disk still doesn't move. What gives?

Here's a picture of my disk brake http://b.im.craigslist.org/vW/HX/HAA...JlYKPLXuxM.jpg
    You can see what I mean; there's clearly a huge nut and spindle in the center, but no obvious way of removing the brake disk. Like I said, my festiva manual doesn't go into any detail on how to remove/replace these bearings.

help.
    "Bistromathics"

Shoot me an email at qaking@cox.net and I can send you some information files and pictures. :wink:
    Kevin
    '93 L (BP{T} Sold
    '90 L Plus Sold
    '94 Mercury Capri XR2 sold

Comment

You'll need a press to get them in and out.
      www.dantheoilman.com
      AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
      Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
      Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Yep , a press would make it easy , I was able to get mine apart with a 2 lb sledge and a brass drift, holding unit in a 6" vise.. , I scratched my head at first and got the dealer to send me a fax of the front wheel assy , It was clear then how it all comes apart !!
        Aspires and Sways all around, Miata B6 installed, KYB G2Rs just installed in front. Wish for coil overs someday.

Comment

Thanks for the info on the bearing Qaking. I got it in my email. Seems though that some asshat damaged the locknut the last time it was removed. Mashed the crap out of it. I gotta form a new attack plan to do this now. :evil:
          :cat:
          Proud former owner of a shineee blue '93 Festiva L. Marvin will be missed.

Comment

in what direction should i turn the locknut to get it off.
            it was easy when i replaced the rear wheel bearings. but it seemed a bit different when i tried it on the front wheels.
            any tips from you guys?
            thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X