Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Victim of serious rust at radiator support area HELP PLEASE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victim of serious rust at radiator support area HELP PLEASE!

I noticed a clunking noise much like that of a bad motor mount this past weekend. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the lower portion of the radiator support area where a cradle/mounting system is bolted has rusted thru, leaving the cradle and everything mounted to it, i.e. the engine, resting on the front sway bar. This can't be a good thing.

Is there an easy fix for this, such as simply welding a big beefy hunk of angle stock up there an bolting it back in place? I have a welder and work in a tool shop and can handle this if it's an option. Or is there a better way?

I was just curious who else has run into this problem and what they have done to fix it.

Thanks in advance,
    Vance

get weldin'...
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

This happened to my car. I had to pay someone to weld in a new chunk of angled steel.
      * Retired Festiva-er*
      1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!
      B6T'ing since May 2002...

Disclaimer: I'm a dick, deal with it.

Comment

Thanks guys. This is what I thought. I got everything measured out and will have one machined up tomorrow.

The one I've designed will be a bolt in part that will be several time stronger the the factory support. Spread the word. If this works as well as I hope, I'll have a couple made up for others who may need one.

Vance

Comment

Working...
        X