Radiator fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator fan

So I got my b6 running, it's nice. Thing is, now my radiator fan doesn't turn on and the temp guage always shows low temp. What sensor determines when the fan turns on and is there a relay for it? It doesn't overheat in normal driving, but I let it sit idleing for about 20 mins and coolant started leaking out of the overflow tank and boiling the puddle of water on the ground.
    OX SMASH!!

after b6 installed in my festy I was leary about the temp reg opening. I ended up putting my stock thermostat into the b6 engine (I think they were different temps on the thermostats). I used a digital thermometor on the upper rad hose to make sure I wasn't going to crack a head due to over heat , also put a power wire to the fan motor to make sure it worked.
    My fan came on at around 175 degrees fahranheit (??spelling). next is to throw your sensor on the thermostat hsg in a pan of water with a continuity tester attached, bring pan of water up to a boil and the switch should make contact somewhere before boil or 175 degrees.
    Aspires and Sways all around, Miata B6 installed, KYB G2Rs just installed in front. Wish for coil overs someday.

Comment

well, I traced it to the temp sensor. According to the shop manual it's supposed to come on at 209 F and it doesn't. The fan turns on fine if I just unplug the connector though. Called NAPA and they want $50+ for it. I think I'm going to just wire it to a switch in the dash to turn the fan on when I want.

I'm using the b3 thermostat and sensors.
      OX SMASH!!

Comment

thats what i did. put it on the far left pannel thinggy next to the dimmer on the left side of the dash. also did it to my 93 taurus shitbox before i blew it up. works just fine....dont let it run verry long tho...i have gone thru countless switches forgetting its on
        90 L FI..second B3
        90 L Parts car
        Jay

Comment

leaving it on shouldn't affect the switch. As long as you use a switch thats rated for DC power. AC switches will break really fast, even beefy ones.

When the temp gets hot that sensor is supposed to open the circut, since it's broken it just stays closed all the time. So the switch should be easy to wire in where the plug connects to the sensor. When the switch is closed the fan is off.
          OX SMASH!!

Comment

Working...
          X