Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Noise

Hi all,
    I hear a rattling noise in my car when I have my foot on the brake and sometimes when I'm hauling ass.It is most noticeable when I am idling.
    What do you think it could be? The engine mounts seem to be ok,so...
    Thanx,
    N.Y.
    Hello Festiva people!

It'sprobably the heat shields on the exhaust system. I took mine off and no more rattles.

Ian

92 GL Sport
    Calgary
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

noise

heat shields?where are thay and can a mechanically clueless person take them off?
      Hello Festiva people!

Comment

Leave em on, they block the heat from coroding the hell out of your engine.

My fuel door rattles a lot, I put a piece of foam rubber in there to stop it.
        OX SMASH!!

Comment

It's squirrels that have moved into the underside of your car and set up a trendy squirrel nightclub. The rattle noise is when the house band gets carried away playing "Staying Alive" and the squirrel dancers are dancing on the dance floor hard enough for you to hear it. A can of Raid should solve the problem.
          :cat:
          Proud former owner of a shineee blue '93 Festiva L. Marvin will be missed.

Comment

There are just too many possibility of rattles and noises to try and figure it out over the Internet. Try to pinpoint the problem, does it only happen when you apply the brakes?, when cornering, etc...

If it happens when you are idling, then get out of the car and try to source the location of the noise, under the hood, under the car...

and be careful of those dancing squirrels, make sure they dont sit in the rad fan guard. I friend of mine's kitty would go there to stay warm, when he started the car up... well it was no fun for the rad fan, nor the kitty (who needed surgery) :cry:
            I will NOT drive a minivan

Comment

Working...
            X