How to get front oil seal out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get front oil seal out?

I took the timing belt off of the new engine (121k miles) today.

There was some oil inside this area. Question is how do YOU get the old oil seal out. ie easiest/best way to do it.

Thanks

David

Try one of these

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
    BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
    BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
    New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

^^That will only work if the oil pump is pulled off the block because the crank is in place.

This is tough to do...not replace the seal...but to determine if the leak is the front main....oil pump to block gasket....or...the oil pan. They are all in close vicinity of where you found oil. I would hate to see you change the front main and not fix the leak....then again I hate to see you pull the pump if you do not have to. I would double check the entire area. Also make sure it's not dripping down from the cam shaft.

Good news...it's most likey the front main...and it can be changed in place. To remove the seal...install two screws right into the middle of the seal....between the crank OD and the pump ID. 180° apart. a No. 8 or No.6 X 2" long wood screw will work well. Once both screws are in place...grip and rip it out.

If the screws pull out of the seal...use a small pair of needle nose pliers or pry driver to pop oit out. Once one side is a litttle bit out...use a pair of dykes to cut it...grip an end an rip it out. PLEASE....don't let any of the screws or tools contact the mating surfaces on either the crank or pump housing surface.
      Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
      The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

thanks

david

Comment

Have a link to the entire front main/camshaft seal replacement procedure? I'm facing it, and dreading it, but spending more on oil than gas, and making a helluva mess in the process.

Thanks.

Comment

:festiva::newb::festiva:

Comment

Originally posted by odiekokee View Post
              Have a link to the entire front main/camshaft seal replacement procedure? I'm facing it, and dreading it, but spending more on oil than gas, and making a helluva mess in the process.

Thanks.
              not a big deal at all.....if you can get to the point that you have the belt and gear off, then you can just pop the seal out with a flat head screw driver or a small style pry bar (with the curved end on it). Then you just tap the new one back in.
              "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
              89L Silver EFI auto
              91GL Green Auto DD
              There ain't no rest for the wicked
              until we close our eyes for good.
              I will sleep when I die!
              I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by wrongfulleaf View Post

Haha, I like that one!
                "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

Originally posted by lanemeyer14 View Post
                  Haha, I like that one!
                  It was a polite one since he actually needed help Now if it would had said "nice car" then it might had been different

Comment

It was a polite one since he actually needed help Now if it would had said "nice car" then it might had been different
                    lately my car isn't too nice to me.....but i really am serious. Never done anything like this, but have access to tools out the wazoo and both a drive on and 2 post
                    "hanging" lift that I can keep occupied for days without getting fuzz for it.

i just don't know WHAT to do, where to start, and I understand it's an old topic (and thank you for not flaming me like one guy did for just asking, i guess i wasn't born knowing everything like him) but the search thing doesn't seem to like something or the other with my browser, and i get garbled smush. If someone would be so kind, a link to either the topic or something giving real plain English experience based advice, i can combine that and Haynes to get it done, i think.

Thanks.

Comment

Give me a heads up if this helps......
                      Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

Comment

Give me a heads up if this helps......
                        http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ight=main+seal
                        he's already posted at the end of that thread
                        89L Silver EFI auto
                        91GL Green Auto DD
                        I will sleep when I die!
                        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

sending pm
                          89L Silver EFI auto
                          91GL Green Auto DD
                          I will sleep when I die!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                            he's already posted at the end of that thread
                            LOL! I deserve a gif myself then He said his search wasn't working so I was just going to post the ones that came up

Comment

I found this thread that has a decent write up and gives you the part #s that you will need to replace....

Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                              X